Thread: How to play XBox 360 game backups (I.e. ISOs) from external HDD?

1. #1 How to play XBox 360 game backups (I.e. ISOs) from external HDD? 
    Thanks
    I have just recently purchased an Xbox 360. In the past I have used ModMii to allow me to play ISO backups from an external drive through USB on the Wii and am now hoping to do so for the Xbox.

I am reading threads about c4eva, Jungle Flasher, Xplorer360, etc and it is too overhelming. I need someone to point me in the right direction as to how to do this and the consequences of doing so. Then I can focus my efforts while filtering out all the "noise".

Any help is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

your best to get the drive flashed to lt 3 then you can play backups on discs and get it glitched so you can play your games off external hdd ,you just run your game iso threw something like iso to god ,put it on your external and run it from freestyle dash,cost is around 50 quid to do depends what xbox360 you have but its well worth doing

Thanks
    Thanks abbeyrd! Can you please expand upon what you mean by the following?

- flashed to lt 3
    - glitched
    - run through iso to god
    - run it from freestyle dash

Sorry, I am a noob!

Thanks

flashed is when you can get the drive of the xbox flashed with lt3 firmware ,really its just a way of the drive reading copied games you burn from here

glitched is when you have a board fitted inside the console and programmed,this enables you to download games and put them on a external hdd,when you down load a game it comes in iso format,so you use iso to god software which is free to convert the iso file ,then you put that on to your external hdd

freestyle dash is software you put on xbox360 hdd so when you boot up your xbox360 it goes to the dash to launch your games

getting it glitched is the way to go as no more discs needed but you might as well have your drive flashed as well

5. The Following User Says Thank You to abbeyrd For This Useful Post:

Advanced Member 1jester's Avatar Scotland
    Thanks

one more thing to add to abbeyrd' accurate summary, if you chose to go down the RGH (Reset Glitch Hack) or Glitched, then you can no longer connect to xbox live, there is however alternate ways to play multiplayer games and there is a new FSD being made with all this new connectivity already built in, its name is Link, just WiP at the minute but its looking good so far

This Content Is Available To Members Only. Please Register Here
    there is of course xbslink until this is up and running but a lot of people have trouble setting xbslink up and getting a decent steady connection with it

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 1jester For This Useful Post:

Thanks

if you want to go on live i just say use a non modded console and glitched or flashed for copies ,

9. The Following User Says Thank You to abbeyrd For This Useful Post:

Junior Member Supressor's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    Don't bother trying to get online with a modded Xbox-- you'll be banned within the hour most likely.
    There are only a few people that have managed to bypass the kernel check and those people are asking outrageous money for the rights to use it.

Thanks

if you want to go on line buy original game if your drive is flashed,but in most cases people have flashed drives play the games before they are released hence the banning,im not bothered about live anyway if i was id just use another console to use on live as there pretty cheap nowadays

Thanks
    Thank you for the details. A couple more questions please Click here to enlarge

- I assume I can flash the drive once I find the relevant software?

- Does the board have a specific name so that I can Google it, buy it, and install it myself? Or is this something best left to the pros (once I find them!)?

- Does freestyle dash replace the existing Xbox UI or is it still possible to get back to the original dashboard?

- Lastly, is flashing the drive necessary (I.e. why flash it)? Reading you last sentence it would seem to indicate that I really only need the board...

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by abbeyrd Click here to enlarge
    getting it glitched is the way to go as no more discs needed but you might as well have your drive flashed as well
    Cheers!

Thanks

yes with freestyle dash on you can still get back to normal dash with a press of the button,the board is called cool runner ,its best to get someone to install it for you,and then put freestyle 3 dash on the internal xbox360 hdd for you
    and new dash launch ,plus update kernel you dont really need your drive flashed then ,i only had my drive flashed as it was already done before i got it glitched

if your in the uk im sure grandmaster on bolt would do it for you collect and return give him a pm, i havent used my drive since

14. The Following User Says Thank You to abbeyrd For This Useful Post:

Advanced Member 1jester's Avatar Scotland
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Supressor Click here to enlarge
    Don't bother trying to get online with a modded Xbox-- you'll be banned within the hour most likely.
    There are only a few people that have managed to bypass the kernel check and those people are asking outrageous money for the rights to use it.
    people that dont know what they are talking about shouldnt spout nonsense, i dont use my flashed console ie my modded console to go online (i keep that for my legit console) but i have many mates that use a flashed drive and are on live all the time and have been for years, if you keep the flash updated (newest being LT 3.0 firmware and the safest for live so far) and be wary of console updates via xbox live, until they have been given the all clear and dont play games far too early , then anyone can go online and use the xbox live service with a flashed=modded console

if your talking about a jtag/rgh console then disregard the above as the only way to go online with one of these types of modded consoles is to use xbslink or LiNK (when its fully developed by the FSD team)