Thread: What do i plug the mic into?

1. #1 What do i plug the mic into? 
    Valued Member thingy's Avatar UK
    Thanks
    Hi guys
    My daughter wants a microphone with stand so she can sing in her room. However i have no idea what to plug the mic into. Hoping someone could point me in the right direction on what to buy (hopefully on a budget lol).
    Thanks
    Thingy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supreme Member AngieBockel's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

Well, what does your daughter has in line of loudspeakers in her room? and maybe a computer? (a comp would make things way more easy!)

Usually you need some sort of pre-amp (micro-amp) for a micro.

But: there is something very nasty called feedback which happens when the micro "hears" the loudspeakers it "talks/sings" to.
    This can be circumvented if the artist in question (=your daughter) uses headphones and additionally using headphones makes the setup way more inexpensive and easy... ;)

Cheap microphones are usually low price, very sensitive, need only cheap pre-amps but are extremely prone to feedbacks: no fun for amateurs.

Good microphones are expensive (100 quid+), quite feedback-resistant but need a professional (and expensive=200 quid+) pre-amp...

So you need to find out and describe more detailed what your daughter really wants!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AngieBockel For This Useful Post:

Devoted User SimonP's Avatar England
    Thanks

The obvious answer is an amplifier and speakers but you may be thinking about plugging it into a computer to record and edit it (use the orange socket on the back) or something.

Your best bet would be to pop into your local branch of Maplin where you'll be able to see and try most options and they are reasonably priced. Their web site isn't much help but I'm sure they'll have something more suitable in the shop or will at least be able to advise you and tell you where to look.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SimonP For This Useful Post:

Thanks

...just a small correction: the "orange" mic-in is really "pink"! ;)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngieBockel For This Useful Post:

Valued Member thingy's Avatar UK
    Thanks
    thanks for the replies Click here to enlarge
    I hadnt thought about doing it through a pc, so might look into that.
    I have an technics amp and 2 massive speakers in the loft that i had completely forgot about so will try them first.
    On the mic side of things if the amp and speakers work i can spend more on a better mic for her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thingy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

THE professional standard singers micro is the "Shure SM58".

Of course it has a professional XLR-connector so you need a micro amp (ideally a small mixing desk) to hook that and the music to the amp.

Either you buy such things of ebay or visit one of your local AV or PA rental services (which I recommend as they can explain more...), they usually sell such things used and for good prices.

Addendum: the SM58 is a "cardioid" micro which means it only records from the front but not from the back (where the "grip" is).

That is very good to reduce feedback but you have to have the speakers either facing you from the front or facing away from you but neither from the sides nor from the back!

Of course sound is reflected off hard surfaces (like walls) so you should "cushion" the walls (that is why there is foam-padding in professional studios).

In small settings (like your daughters room) the feedback is the biggest problem to overcome, that's why I recommend earphones under such circumstances...

Devoted User SimonP's Avatar England
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AngieBockel Click here to enlarge
    ...just a small correction: the "orange" mic-in is really "pink"! ;)
    Oh yes! Click here to enlarge In my defence it really is orange on the Philips computer I looked at but I just checked a couple of others and it is more like pink on those...

Thanks

Sorry, I should have said that it is supposed to be pink by the present computer-standard...

Keepin' It Country thepossum's Avatar Australia
    Thanks

If you're looking at plugging in a mic through an amp you need to make sure that the speakers are designed to handle "voice" Your standard HIFI speakers are not suitable as they wont handle the output and could end up damaged. You need a pa system that will handle this...... or a karaoke system ....................

Let your fingers do the walking get online do some research and take it from there .................I have a home Karaoke system put out by Sound Choice here in Australia will handle guitars too...............not too expensive for my use at around $750.00 plays karaoke discs, Cd discs & DVD can hook up to HIFI or better ...........2 mic jacks on the front 2on the back and most importantly records the music played or sung.
    ZIPPYSHARE & UPLOADED NET

PLEASE PM IF LINKS ARE DEAD

PASWORD FOR ALL LINKS: possum (unless otherwise stated)

Senior Member cheebstah's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

Some good advice above for you thingy, mostly stick with AngieBockel's equipment reco, start at a lower stage of gear and see how it goes. PC will be much easier and she can get her toes wet in sound recording as well as singing.

Here's a nice overview of mic types and which ones are best suited for different needs:
    This Content Is Available To Members Only. Please Register Here
    - Get an affordable dynamic mic (no need to plug into a pre-amp when going into PC) - Shure SM58 is an excellent starter and really good for entry level, big reasons why it's an industry standard.
    - Plug mic into "mic in" on PC (may need an XLR to 3.5mm adaptor, easily found at Radio Shack/Best Buy etc.)
    - Use headphones or get feedback
    - Record through any audio editor choosing "mic in" as source

Once your daughter plays around, you'll start getting an idea of whether you/her will want to invest in a proper sound card, condenser mic, audio baffling, etc. to do real home recording.

If you're not using PC and you want to try the old amp and speakers, highly recommend you jot down the specs and take them to your local muso equipment store and speak to them as SimonP recommended.

While thepossum is correct as far as rule-of-thumb goes, there are exceptions in some "prosumer" set ups and the muso store staff should be able to assist you there too (do you need a pre-amp, if so what kind, is impedance on HiFi actually OK, etc).