Thread: Best storage sollution for Mac

1. #1 Best storage sollution for Mac 
    Thanks

Hey everyone! I have been an avid Bolt user for a few years now and have built up quite a collection of media. I am using an iMac with an external drive. I started with a 750GB WD western digital drive which scared me when it was closed to full and didn't boot after a few tries. Eventually I upgraded (I think) and bought a 2TB seagate drive which I have been happy with so far. I am starting to get worried because it has gotten louder in the past few months and i'm just scared it may crap out completely. I am looking into upgrading again, but I would like to get some input on what everyone thinks would be the best upgrade for safety of my files along with transfer speed. I looked into the Drobo Storage system, but saw one review that stated it was slow at transferring and wasn't able to play a 720p .mkv file without lagging. obviously unacceptable. Can anyone confirm or argue this? I have my iMac networked to two aTVs wired by Ethernet.

I appreciate any help you guys, and girls, can offer.

It's the Answer kidhugs's Avatar UK
    Thanks
    eternal drives are a slippery slope... one always needs another.. bigger, faster duplicate "just in case".. and, if you're like me and play music 24/7, you can "hear" all kindsa imaginary noises.
    What I have done is, every now and again, I buy a used IDE drive cheap - stick it into an external case and back up a bunch of stuff. And then I just wrap it and store it. I figure it may not be in tiptop shape, but I'm only using it long enough to load it up and then , hopefully, never again. But if I DO need it, the it should be good enough shape to work at least the one time I need it to.
    Just be sure to get a decent basic catalogue/library system to store what's on which drive. I use DiskCatalogueMaker.

not the most hi-tech solution, I know... but it works for me.

All the non-media stuff, - my private data and records, I store on RS and may just avail myself of the new Google cloud "5GB for free" deal. and, of course, there's dropbox and icloud for the personal data stuff as well.
    I am gradually replacing my links so just PM me for something of mine that you want,
    But don't forget to search for Kidhugs Telly Shows - Kidhugs VHS Music shows & Kidhugs Music Tape Transfers and
    Lost in the shuffle

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kidhugs For This Useful Post:

Elder Qwertius's Avatar Federal-States-of-Micronesia
    Thanks
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kidhugs Click here to enlarge
    What I have done is, every now and again, I buy a used IDE drive cheap - stick it into an external case and back up a bunch of stuff.
    Looks like we're on the same wavelength with this approach.

makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Most of my drives were donated for free or picked up for virtually no money.

I have about 4 TB worth I think...

Here is a snapshot...that I just took. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

E4S
    Keep swimming and stay away from hooks.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Qwertius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    mine are actually just a little better protected and organised than that mess....
    I am gradually replacing my links so just PM me for something of mine that you want,
    But don't forget to search for Kidhugs Telly Shows - Kidhugs VHS Music shows & Kidhugs Music Tape Transfers and
    Lost in the shuffle

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kidhugs For This Useful Post:

Elder Qwertius's Avatar Federal-States-of-Micronesia
    Thanks
    Charming as usual Kidhugs...

FYI : Wrapping HD's in plastic is a bad idea mate.....especially when it comes to the build up of static electricity and to high levels of humidity contained within such a macro-environment.

But hey : its a big world mate. I've had some of my HDD's for more than 10 years and they are working just fine...

And yours ?

Maybe you've got a kinky thing going about wrapping...hehehe

E4S
    Keep swimming and stay away from hooks.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Qwertius For This Useful Post:

Bolt Elders Woomera's Avatar Australia
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eye4Sound Click here to enlarge
    Looks like we're on the same wavelength with this approach.

makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Most of my drives were donated for free or picked up for virtually no money.

I have about 4 TB worth I think...

Here is a snapshot...that I just took. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

E4S
    Very good...... now where do you sleep? Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
    Life is about perspective. For example. The lobsters in the kitchen of the Titanic were ecstatic when it sank.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Woomera For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eye4Sound Click here to enlarge
    Charming as usual Kidhugs...

FYI : Wrapping HD's in plastic is a bad idea mate.....especially when it comes to the build up of static electricity and to high levels of humidity contained within such a macro-environment.

But hey : its a big world mate. I've had some of my HDD's for more than 10 years and they are working just fine...

And yours ?

Maybe you've got a kinky thing going about wrapping...hehehe

E4S
    jeez - you're cranky this morning...Click here to enlarge

I was joking.. and I don't wrap my drives in plastic.... and several of them have also passed a decade... but it's not a competition... it was just a suggestion.
    Lost in the shuffle

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kidhugs For This Useful Post:

Elder Nemiatha's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

The 'hide a drive in the closet' method is a good one but not one I particularly subscribe to because I always want access to my data (whether I need it or not). There are two things you can look into that will cost a bit of cash in the short term but in the long run will be good.

--UnRaid
    --Drobo

Both of those solutions allow for a lot of expansion plus a lot of protection from drive failure. UnRaid is basically infinitely expandable and you can use drives of all sizes. Drobo is good too if not as flexible. I've had mine for a couple of years now and I have 4.51 Tb in it currently. When I first bought mine I actually did have a drive fail but Drobo backed everything up just as it was supposed to. This process of backing up, especially at the large drive sizes I'm dealing with now, can take up to 20 hours after a drive fails or when you upgrade your drive size but you can continue using the Drobo while this takes place. I like it pretty well.

Both Drobo and UnRaid are fast enough to stream Full HD over gigabit ethernet.

Anyway, UnRaid is by far the fastest of these two. Hope this helps.
    "Now is the Law of the Jungle---as old and true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die. As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back---For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack." -Rudyard Kipling

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nemiatha For This Useful Post:

VIP Member chris457's Avatar Canada
    Thanks

Thought I had posted a reply on this, but it was probably swallowed in yesterday's shutdown. I did use multiple external drives, until I didn't know what was on what drive anymore. I now run two Drobos. The first has 8TB of storage, and has survived a couple of bad Seagates without losing any data. I've now added a second (12TB) to it. Although they are slow for moving files on and off, there is no problem with running 1080P MKVs from them.

more pirate than ninja nemo85's Avatar Scotland
    Thanks

ive looked into the drobos and they do look reliable, i just have everything on numerous 1tb external drives at home and at my work home, i really need to get myself a big ol all in one thing like the drobos or unraid
    Rock On