Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Photography as hobby

VIP Member chris_marina's Avatar Ireland
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by piyoimut Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Got one.. love it.
    if you're new.. maybe start with lower model.. like 7D or 60D.
    the 5D is full frame, so it'll capture "wider" angle if you put a 24mm on it vs the crop sensor (like 1.3 or 1.6)
    but if you want more zoom instead of wide, go with the 7D or 60D.

the bad about 5D is the burst mode. Slow.
    (Canon want you to buy the 1D series if you want full frame and faster burst mode).

so.. depends on what you want to use it for. For me it works fine as I don't shoot sports.
    I've got an original 5D full frame and a 1D mark III 1.3 crop sensor. I keep my 16-35mm on the 5D at all times purely because of the wider angle Click here to enlarge

Visiting Admn Farquard's Avatar United-States
    Thanks

My Great-Great Grandfather was the first in our family to be a photographer. Like my father before me, I was professionally trained as a photographer, but moved on to other things. I still do however, own a Kodak 8x10 Studio Camera, 4x5 Speed Graphic as well as various 35mm cameras.

My regular camera is a Leica. When I need to shoot film, I use a M-4, which I still enjoy very much. But as things have gone digital, I made the move to a digital M-9, so I could use my selection Leica M mount lenses. For quick shooting I use a Leica V-lux.

A full color darkroom occupies a corner of my basement, which includes an Omega Autofocus enlarger as well as a fully automated film development system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elder deborahb's Avatar Wales
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by buffer Click here to enlarge
    Has anyone used a canon 600d? I am looking to get one and would welcome some thoughts.
    I had one for christmas and its amazing compared to the point and click I had previously, never had an SLR before so I've just done a 2 day course with going digital to learn how to use it properly,I feel more confident now, so it was worth every penny , at least I can now get off auto, I think that SLR camera's can be a bit daunting at first, anyway back to the point the 600D is a nice camera you wont be disappointed

Member babygirlslim's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    i love taking pics but i dont have any flash equipment

Thanks
    I've been an amateur photographer since I was a teenager. I've used all kinds of cameras, except medium format. I'd like to find an inexpensive one to learn on. I find that anyone can take a picture but knowing how to manipulate the camera to get the image you want takes lots of practice and bad pictures. It's a lot like golf, it's that one good shot that keeps you coming back, not the 100 bad ones.

Member olddawg's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mfseidel1 Click here to enlarge
    I've been an amateur photographer since I was a teenager. I've used all kinds of cameras, except medium format. I'd like to find an inexpensive one to learn on. I find that anyone can take a picture but knowing how to manipulate the camera to get the image you want takes lots of practice and bad pictures. It's a lot like golf, it's that one good shot that keeps you coming back, not the 100 bad ones.
    Medium-format is awesome. And coming from (current) digital it will be a blast to play with. Assuming you can find film, that is.

Member hp62442's Avatar United-States
    Thanks
    I have a Nikon D-90 with a quite a few lenses...Do people, animal and landscape pictures mostly

Member acricketer's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    Any advice on the best idiot proof photo improvement software?

Thanks

Adobe Lightroom for day to day digital RAW development/correction

Member olddawg's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by atuin Click here to enlarge
    Adobe Lightroom for day to day digital RAW development/correction
    +1
    Cheap, and does a fine job.

Member Draakula's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    interesting reads in here, thanks

Junior Member jalankaki's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    am a canon fan. now own 5D m2 and am drooling over 5d m3.
    i want to get 24mm f1.4 and 50mm f1.2
    they both sound so sweet

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by olddawg Click here to enlarge
    +1
    Cheap, and does a fine job.
    yup lightroom does the job. am still working on perfect skin tone using lightroom though.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chris_marina Click here to enlarge
    I've got an original 5D full frame and a 1D mark III 1.3 crop sensor. I keep my 16-35mm on the 5D at all times purely because of the wider angle Click here to enlarge
    i think 1 series focus faster ya?

Member criscros's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

Still consider it my hobby, despite being lucky enough to be paid to do it for the last 29 years!

Use a couple of D700's and 2 D2Hs

Thanks
    the new m4/3s are now the hype. Sony 7n anyone?

VIP Member susansan2009's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

Have bought my Canon SLR 450D two years ago. Not to make photography as a hobby , but just to take family pictures. Until i saw the beautiful shots from this camera. Have been reading a lot about cameras lately,and Canon seems to have an edge among other brands. I might be bias, but will stick to Canon.

Junior Member alfort's Avatar Israel
    Thanks
    love to photograph nature spcialy lightning and staff like sundogs etc.
    right now i have a nikon coolpix p300 thow i must say i miss working with film = my very old minolta it's just geting too expencive to divelop

Thanks
    I work for a hometown newspaper, but photography has been my life. My Dad was a teacher & at the school we had a Photo Club for years. That's where I learned about developing photos,(If you ask me now to remember I'd have to dig up my old notes on the process, finding them however needle in haystack). Anyway I took lots of school photos events,(sports, awards, local events around town). Later as I rekindled that into the hometown newspaper, I used various Digital Cameras from Kodak to Nikon. So far I am using a Nikon L110 it's about 4 to 5 steps below a DSLR. The solution that I found was with a previous Canon PowerShot A1000 pocket Digital camera. It was the memory card. Most SD cards are class 6 and lower. So I use Class 10,(Professional) SD cards helps with the photo processing speed to the SD card. What I like is the ability to capture moments, especially the human body in motion(sports, dancing, or general motion). It helps with my other hobby drawing... Click here to enlarge

Junior Member tymcode's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    I've been using a Nikon D80 for a few years. I've been planning to get a D7000 based on Ken Rockwell's review, but they're hard to get, and have been for a while. I can't tell if it's because of the flooding in Thailand or because they're about to be replaced. I want to stay with Nikon because I have all these lenses that I like. (their cheap 50mm prime is completely amazing, and I like the 60mm macro.)

Everyone I know with a Canon 5D M2 doesn't even use it for photography. I assisted on a nighttime video shoot for a student feature film in Monterey and I was in awe of a) its low light performance and b) the amazing array of accessories for people shooting films with them. It's amazing what you can get away with in terms of light, especially coming as I do from a video background. The pro video cam manufacturers are only just now realizing what a serious threat these DSLR's are becoming. It's interesting how they're responding. I didn't go to the broadcast convention NAB this year for the first time in a long time, but I really wanted to see how they plan to hang on to that business in the face of this sneak attack from still cameras. I'm certain they never saw it coming.

Junior Member tymcode's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    And yes, Lightroom is a great tool for quickly making your pictures look great. It's brilliant when you shoot raw -- you can't believe the detail you can pull out of a picture that would otherwise look ruined. The coolest things about Lightroom for me are the metadata tools for managing thousands of photos -- I don't even bother with folder structure organization any more, I just search on tags when I want to find something -- and the ability to apply adjustments to a whole bunch of pictures at once. You fix the exposure, color temperature and maybe a few other things like clarity on one photo, then sync the changes to the whole shoot in one step. Boom, done but for a few tweaks here and there. And the most recent noise adjustments work great on my high-ISO pics.

VIP Member GSTYLE's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    been taking photos as a hobby for around 10 years! ever since I started having children, moved through 5 different cameras - shot 4 weddings, can't remember how many 21st birthday - just upgraded to Nikon D7000 with 18-200 VRII lens (previously had Nikon D50) tomorrow my cousin is getting married - first wedding with the Nikon D7000 can't wait! next week got a photography course on night photography by a little company in New Zealand called "Three Little Wishes" can't wait! Before the course I better read the manual on how to use the D7000 properly - there are so much features in there Click here to enlarge let's hope the weather is good tomorrow.... Cheers everyone.....

21. #121 Just bought myself a DSLR camera...now what? 
    Elder Mike_trx's Avatar Scotland
    Thanks

Evening fellow Bolters!

After being fed up, finding things hard recently and not sure what to do with my life in the current climate...I decided to jump on the Canon special offer band wagon and purchased myself a nice little Canon 600D. Safe to say I love it! Always wanted a camera like this, and I know lenses are expensive but im trying to learn from the beginning so there's no rush. I've currently only got the kit lens with the camera (18 - 55mm version) along with some cheap addon macro filters from ebay to test them out.

Has anyone got some nice sites, or even pages on here on Bolt that could help me on my photography journey? Im currently subscribed to DigitalRev on youtube, but that's it really! Any random info, advice would be greatly appreciated...also i'll share a shot I got today that I love! My first favourite photo that i've taken! Ok there are two...I lied.

Cheers!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Supreme Member Hugh Jarse's Avatar Ireland
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike_trx Click here to enlarge
    Evening fellow Bolters!

After being fed up, finding things hard recently and not sure what to do with my life in the current climate...I decided to jump on the Canon special offer band wagon and purchased myself a nice little Canon 600D. Safe to say I love it! Always wanted a camera like this, and I know lenses are expensive but im trying to learn from the beginning so there's no rush. I've currently only got the kit lens with the camera (18 - 55mm version) along with some cheap addon macro filters from ebay to test them out.

Has anyone got some nice sites, or even pages on here on Bolt that could help me on my photography journey? Im currently subscribed to DigitalRev on youtube, but that's it really! Any random info, advice would be greatly appreciated...also i'll share a shot I got today that I love! My first favourite photo that i've taken! Ok there are two...I lied.

Cheers!

Hi

Welcome to a whole new world of fun.

There are masses of forums out there

I would suggest

This Content Is Available To Members Only. Please Register Here
    as a start to get some ideas of the variance in ideas.

In the old days the photographer (basic or advanced) enjoyed the fruits of their hobby with sometimes actually developing and printing their work and showing off the results in local camera club competitions etc. It was slow and sometimes messy with the majority of us setting up a "darkroom" temporarily in a bathroom or kitchen, blacking out light and learning to work with a red "safelight".

These days you have a wholly different world when it comes to producing a final picture with home printing and image manipulation with software... The world is your oyster.

You have chosen a great camera but as you have discovered the lens price to move on can be extortionate.

You can use Canon's legacy range of 35mm lenses with your camera albeit in manual mode. Use of "Prime" lenses can be a fantastic way of getting some fixed focal length lens to cover particular situations. I for example have just traded my Canon 600D to purchase a Canon 7D for its more robust casing. Not a lot between the 2 camera bodies but f I am going to drop a camera I think the 7D with its magnesium alloy build will do for me. I have a coupl of EF-S lenses which means I think I will still owe money on the debt after I die!!! I had always been a Pentax man in 35mm film days with a Mamiya 645S medium format 120/220 film load. So for portraits and some landscapes I now use my pPentax DSL with a wide range of Pentax M manual lenses from the late 70s through to the 80s which are in excellent condition and, no word of a lie, produce much better results with the DSLR than using the same focal length digital zoom lens - just have to think more about the framing etc.

The big difference is cost! 36 frame films with purchase price now similar to some media cards plus the cost of developing against digital storage. Framing and spanning different settings for a picture is free!

So you may want to look at software image manipulation products. I started ages back with JASC now Corel Paint Shop Pro, tried Serif Photoplus and then through Adobe Photoshop Elements to the full creative Photoshop Suite.

I think you may find that Serif Photo X5 product cannot handle Canons 600D RAW file output. (Yes the RAW output is evolving and most are different so for some products you will need to look at whether the application you may want to try will handle your file! (The RAW file is not a picture format like JPG but holds all the data that makes up the picture which you can use the photo app to create and manipulate the way you want to produce your final product. Great fun so you may end up not watching evening TV.

Good luck and welcome to a wholly different hobby to what you may expect.

Hugh

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugh Jarse For This Useful Post:

Elder Mike_trx's Avatar Scotland
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Hugh Jarse Click here to enlarge

Hi

Welcome to a whole new world of fun.

There are masses of forums out there

I would suggest

This Content Is Available To Members Only. Please Register Here
    as a start to get some ideas of the variance in ideas.

In the old days the photographer (basic or advanced) enjoyed the fruits of their hobby with sometimes actually developing and printing their work and showing off the results in local camera club competitions etc. It was slow and sometimes messy with the majority of us setting up a "darkroom" temporarily in a bathroom or kitchen, blacking out light and learning to work with a red "safelight".

These days you have a wholly different world when it comes to producing a final picture with home printing and image manipulation with software... The world is your oyster.

You have chosen a great camera but as you have discovered the lens price to move on can be extortionate.

You can use Canon's legacy range of 35mm lenses with your camera albeit in manual mode. Use of "Prime" lenses can be a fantastic way of getting some fixed focal length lens to cover particular situations. I for example have just traded my Canon 600D to purchase a Canon 7D for its more robust casing. Not a lot between the 2 camera bodies but f I am going to drop a camera I think the 7D with its magnesium alloy build will do for me. I have a coupl of EF-S lenses which means I think I will still owe money on the debt after I die!!! I had always been a Pentax man in 35mm film days with a Mamiya 645S medium format 120/220 film load. So for portraits and some landscapes I now use my pPentax DSL with a wide range of Pentax M manual lenses from the late 70s through to the 80s which are in excellent condition and, no word of a lie, produce much better results with the DSLR than using the same focal length digital zoom lens - just have to think more about the framing etc.

The big difference is cost! 36 frame films with purchase price now similar to some media cards plus the cost of developing against digital storage. Framing and spanning different settings for a picture is free!

So you may want to look at software image manipulation products. I started ages back with JASC now Corel Paint Shop Pro, tried Serif Photoplus and then through Adobe Photoshop Elements to the full creative Photoshop Suite.

I think you may find that Serif Photo X5 product cannot handle Canons 600D RAW file output. (Yes the RAW output is evolving and most are different so for some products you will need to look at whether the application you may want to try will handle your file! (The RAW file is not a picture format like JPG but holds all the data that makes up the picture which you can use the photo app to create and manipulate the way you want to produce your final product. Great fun so you may end up not watching evening TV.

Good luck and welcome to a wholly different hobby to what you may expect.

Hugh[/SIZE]
    Thanks ever so much the swift and informative response. I will certainly look into the forum you posted. I've done a little research into lenses already and im atleast narrowing down to what I need for my style of shooting. Also i've dabbled a bit in photoshop in the past including some photo tweaking so im already a couple steps ahead of basic beginner, but as with anything like photography I find there is constantly ways to learn and improve...and in my eyes that's the fun of the whole experience. I do like the 7D, a bigger frame too which I like the look of as this 600D seems quite small in hand. Im sure i'll updgrade this when necessary, maybe when I first nearly drop the damn thing or I need faster burst shots. Im quite excited by the prospect of macro photography, so that will probably be my first expensive lens purchase...then the question of will I go 'L' lens or not will be there, although price may decide that for me.

Kind regards,
    Mike

Junior Member boozeguzzler's Avatar UK
    Thanks
    I've always loved photography but never got into it seriously until last year when i purchased a Samsung WB600 in an Argos sale. What a fabulous little camera it is, takes great quality pics. It really energised me to learn a lot more about Photography and I bought a great book called 'Exposure - from snap shots to great shots by Jeff Revell'. Unfortunately I quickly found out the limitations of the Samsung. Although it is a bridge camera and has a mode setting for Manual, Aperture Priority, Shutter priority etc they just didn't work the same way as a DSLR would of done, for instance using a wide aperture to blur back grounds with a narrow depth of field. I voiced these frustrations to my wife who was enjoying all the nice photos I had been getting with the Samsung and was very supportive of this new 'hobby', so much so, in fact, that she bought me a Nikon D3100 for my birthday last year!
    I have to say I absolutely adore the Nikon, it may be entry level but I have so much still to learn and it's a great platform to continue development. My wife is pushing me to take a night class now and I think I should, I have a feeling no matter how many books you read it can't beat talking and learning from a pro face to face.

VIP Member Jakelepeg's Avatar UK
    Thanks
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by abrizz Click here to enlarge
    So does anyone here have a Canon 5D mark 2? I have been seriously thinking about getting one. Just amazed at the pictures you can get from one of those.
    I have had 4 Canon cameras, all brilliant from the D60, 20D, 40D and now the 5D MKII which is the best camera ever. Only problem now is with good L class lenses mounted it gets pretty heavy, but I have invested in a Sniper camera sling/strap which has made a great difference. Get the 5D you will not be disappointed.[/I]
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast