Thread: Which is the best tablet for reading magazines and books

1. #1 Which is the best tablet for reading magazines and books 
    VIP Member Cannylad69's Avatar UK
    Thanks

I'm thinking of buying a tablet to read magazines and books and i think most will be in pdf format.
    I am looking for colour but I'm not interested in watching movies or playing games. I could use my laptop but I just fancy something reasonably priced that I carry around so a 10" screen or there abouts would be good.
    Anyone got any good recommendations?

Thanks

Devoted User omaroo's Avatar UK
    Thanks

I would so the new iPad is brilliant for mags and comics IMO, and is really good for ebooks.

But the kindle and the nook are the supposed to be brilliant for reading not sure about mags.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3:16 FOREVER!
    HE'S HERE!!!

VIP Member stav147's Avatar England
    Thanks

i'd go with ipad 3 for comics and mags.... the retina display screen thingy is outstanding... if you want to read lots of ebooks though, i'd get a kindle...
    36 points to safety

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stav147 For This Useful Post:

VIP Member calvinda's Avatar India
    Thanks

If you want something to read magazines ipad (especially ipad 3 retina) is the best choice
    if you will mostly read ebooks than kindle or nook can also be considered
    the main point being that with ipad you can read magazines and ebooks where as with kindle/nook you can read ebooks only while kindle/nook are very good e-readers they are designed to be just that while ipad on the other hand is much more versatile device which lends itself various uses
    PM me if my links are dead
    A man does what he must - in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures - and that is the basis of all human morality.
    Winston Churchill

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calvinda For This Useful Post:

Member TheShadow's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

yup,i too would recommend the ipad if you read a lot of magazines/comics + ebooks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheShadow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Agreeing with everyone above, the iPad 3 with its retina graphics is amazing. If you have paper subscription to certain magazines or papers, like the Economist or New York Times, you also get a free iPad subscription to match. One barely needs to crack open their paper copies. Plus, archive feature!

For general comics, Comic Glass is a good app.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tok250 For This Useful Post:

VIP Member ledmonds's Avatar United-States
    Thanks

I, being an avid android lover, would say to go with a nook color. It is VERY good for magazines and books. High definition color for 1/3 of the price. You can watch videos and stream music but the options for that are limited. Given what you are interested in using it for I would say Nook color. Our household possesses, an iPad, two nooks colors (one has been rooted with the Samsung galaxy program), two kindle eink readers, and one coby kyros tablet (for the 6 year old). Each device has a feature that surpasses the other devices. For magazines and books Nook Color is where you will get the most bang for your buck!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ledmonds For This Useful Post:

Junior Member JFlower's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    Yeah, the iPad is great and I don't know anyone who owns one who doesn't love it, but you mentioned reasonably priced. I'd say go with the Nook Color or Nook Tablet, again people love the ones they have, they're not 10 inch but they're 7 inches and great for magazines and they're half the price of the iPad. You can also think about the new Google Nexus 7.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JFlower For This Useful Post:

15. #9 Motorola Xoom to read...... 
    Junior Member annebluebk's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cannylad69 Click here to enlarge
    I'm thinking of buying a tablet to read magazines and books and i think most will be in pdf format.
    I am looking for colour but I'm not interested in watching movies or playing games. I could use my laptop but I just fancy something reasonably priced that I carry around so a 10" screen or there abouts would be good.

Thanks

I have the Motorola xoom and it 10" screen and am able to read PDF, epub, mobi...word....also its user friendly and I can see movies and most anything!

Member captain999's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    I have the Google Nexus 7, and I love it! The 7" factor makes it easy to read holding it in one hand, and it's very light.

Member HighCz's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

Totally depends on your wallet.
    The IPAD is nice, but I think you'll find that there are just as good or better options available for less money.
    For example, the ASUS Transformer Infinity has absolutely outstanding specs, yet is less expensive than an IPAD. It also accepts memory cards.
    Bottom-priced options include the Nook, Kindle, etc.

It also depends how important the magazine option is to you. A 7 or 8 inch tablet are the perfect size, in my opinion, for reading ebooks. You can carry the things in a purse or jacket pocket. The 10 inch tablets are probably better for magazines, but may be a tad large if you're used to stuffing a book in your back pocket.
    User preference of course.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to HighCz For This Useful Post:

Junior Member Skiwi's Avatar New-Zealand
    Thanks
    The non refutable, totally correct answer is.........how long is a piece of string. ;)
    As others have mentioned, there are too may variables depending on personal circumstances, however, some are better than others.
    My preference is the iPad, but that's because it does the very things you have mentioned y0u are not interested in (movies, music, internet etc)
    Cheers
    Skiwi

Member xanthmaster's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    I have the new Ipad, and I have a nook. I pretty much use the Nook for most of my reading as it is only eprint (not color), and it is considerably cheaper than the Ipad. I have read some things on the Ipad, but mostly it's the nook for me. And from what I understand, Barnes and Noble is now reducing the price of the nook once again...wonder why Click here to enlarge

21. The Following User Says Thank You to xanthmaster For This Useful Post:

22. #14 Playbook? 
    VIP Member shortystogie's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cannylad69 Click here to enlarge

Thanks
    I really don't want to start a flame war, but anyone consider the Blackberry Playbook? Aside from the fact that I'm a fan of the handsets, the tablets (previous generation, available in 16gb, 32gb and 64 gb flavors) are selling for a song these days... IIRC, the 64 gb can be had around 200 bucks.

They make for excellent ebook readers, have all the magazine apps, and the gestures etc are all excellent and highly intuitive. I got the unit because of the price and have not put it down since. OTOH, I bought my wife the iPad2, and work-wise I find it very restricting, and was not able to use it fully beyond media-consumption functions.

For the price, it may be a good bang-for-buck option to consider.

Good luck whatever you decide.

-SS

Member HighCz's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shortystogie Click here to enlarge
    I really don't want to start a flame war, but anyone consider the Blackberry Playbook? Aside from the fact that I'm a fan of the handsets, the tablets (previous generation, available in 16gb, 32gb and 64 gb flavors) are selling for a song these days... IIRC, the 64 gb can be had around 200 bucks.

They make for excellent ebook readers, have all the magazine apps, and the gestures etc are all excellent and highly intuitive. I got the unit because of the price and have not put it down since. OTOH, I bought my wife the iPad2, and work-wise I find it very restricting, and was not able to use it fully beyond media-consumption functions.

For the price, it may be a good bang-for-buck option to consider.

Good luck whatever you decide.

-SS
    Although I mentioned the new ASUS infinity and IPAD above, I too have a Blackberry Playbook. I started with a Sony PRS 605, and although it was great, I found that the e-ink contrast was a little too dim. I bought the playbook as a replacement, because the price absolutely couldn't be beat for all that it provided. I now use it exclusively for reading .epubs and couldn't be happier. I can fit it into my pocket, but its screen size mimics a paperback. Mind you, EVERYTHING else that it is capable of doing is a huge bonus as well ;-)

Member kjones20's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    I've had the new iPad since launch and have only just discovered magazines and comics for it in the last 2 weeks and I must say, I now very rarely use it for anything else (now I've closed facebook) Even the games (which are awesome) that I used to be so into, have taken a back seat to comics and magazines. Love it

25. The Following User Says Thank You to kjones20 For This Useful Post:

VIP Member kzoomac's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

another voice on the iPad. Comics look great!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to kzoomac For This Useful Post:

Member johnnydoraymeee's Avatar UK
    Thanks
    iPad 3 nothing else comes close.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to johnnydoraymeee For This Useful Post:

VIP Member elathan79's Avatar England
    Thanks

i recently got a ipad2 and i think its great! i use cloud reader and have over 3 gig of comics on there aleady, and a 40-50 ebooks on i books, now i never go anywhere with out it.
    In the absence of light, darkness will prevail.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to elathan79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I scanned some of my old comics (300dpi) and use the New iPad to read them, and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks

anybody had a chance to try to Google Nexus 7?

Member turtoga's Avatar Mexico
    Thanks
    I use my iPad for reading everything.

Supreme Member bookfrog's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

I have both an IPad and a 7" tablet (a Samsung). I find both are great for reading. I find the IPad to be pretty big for reading though. I just ordered the new Toshiba 7.7 Excite. The higher the screen res, the clearer the text.

Member menorah73's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    Magazines look great on the iPad. But for serious reading, I use my Kindle.

Thanks
    for magazines the iPad has the best screen size. and I agree, the retina display is amazeballs!