Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kindle for PC stopped working?

1. #1 Kindle for PC stopped working? 
    Supreme Member bookfrog's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

All of a sudden I can no longer open the Amazon Kindle app for the PC. It still works on my tablets with all of my books.

I had loaded the older version of the app in order to use the plug ins with Calibre to remove DRM and convert. Even when I uninstall and reinstall the older version, it still no longer works.

Can anyone suggest a solution? Without the older kindle app I will not be able to share any more books I have purchased here... Click here to enlarge

Member TheShadow's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bookfrog Click here to enlarge
    All of a sudden I can no longer open the Amazon Kindle app for the PC. It still works on my tablets with all of my books.

I had loaded the older version of the app in order to use the plug ins with Calibre to remove DRM and convert. Even when I uninstall and reinstall the older version, it still no longer works.

Can anyone suggest a solution? Without the older kindle app I will not be able to share any more books I have purchased here... Click here to enlarge
    Same here,i click on the kindle icon,nothing happens,all of a sudden it has stopped working,used to work just fine when i used it before.

Elder jester374's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TheShadow Click here to enlarge
    Same here,i click on the kindle icon,nothing happens,all of a sudden it has stopped working,used to work just fine when i used it before.
    I had the same problem. Apparently, Kindle4PC is time limited and quit working a few days ago. I downloaded the newest version and installed it (without uninstalling the older version). I then tested it with Calibre (newest version) and the 5.1 plugins. Everything worked as before. Cheers!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jester374 For This Useful Post:

Valued Member lars mars's Avatar Jamaica
    Thanks

might be an update issue, mine still works without any problems. maybe even win-update made it stop working??? just guessing here.
    i like to thank the bolt forum, god, my family, the internet, leonid fotzke, my goldfish, all of you, jesus christ, joseph stalin, the man in the moon, the olympic committee and worldpeace

Valued Member candyfloss<3's Avatar UK
    Thanks

This is happening to me as well and at first I thought it was my computer acting up. Glad to know that's it's a problem that other users are having.

Member TheShadow's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jester374 Click here to enlarge
    I had the same problem. Apparently, Kindle4PC is time limited and quit working a few days ago. I downloaded the newest version and installed it (without uninstalling the older version). I then tested it with Calibre (newest version) and the 5.1 plugins. Everything worked as before. Cheers!
    thanks for that info mate,will download the latest version and see what happens.

Junior Member lyra47's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    Good to know this happened to others as well - very confusing when it happened. Guess there are quite a few of us who don't bother installing every program upgrade.

Installing the newest version was fine, all my previous downloads were already loaded. Annoying that there wasn't even an error message; the program just literally stopped working and would not open.

Elder goodtimes1's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

Mine is dead as well... Off to download the latest and see if it works...

The latest version worked, but I had to let it connect to the internet for the first start up..

Thanks

Tells me to update to a new version. Time to find out if they now encrypt books with a new system.

VIP Member thinx's Avatar Australia
    Thanks
    Having the same trouble , it updates to the latest version , opens in the new Kindle for PC then it crashes - says its a BEX error ?

I notice its trying to collate all my mobi files onto Kindle , only a 1000 are Kindle , the other 3000 odd are calibre conversions , thought I would shift

them all to the back drive and disconnect it before installing Kindle for PC again. ...... annoying .....

also this is happening Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a security feature - shutting down Kindle also

I'm not allowed to change its settings according to File Manager ... anyone know how to disable DEP on Kindle PC?

Thanks

This is from the help in Windows 7 ---

Change Data Execution Prevention settings

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a security feature that helps prevent damage from viruses and other security threats by monitoring your programs to make sure they use the computer's memory safely. For more information, see What is Data Execution Prevention?

If you want to turn off DEP for a program you trust, first check to see if the software publisher has made a DEP-compatible version of the program or made an update available before you change any DEP settings. If an update or DEP-compatible version is available, we recommend installing it and leaving DEP turned on so you can benefit from the protection it can provide. But if the publisher has not released an updated, DEP-compatible version of the program, you can turn off DEP for the program. You'll be able to use the program, but it might be vulnerable to an attack that could spread to your other programs and files.

Click to open System.

Click Advanced system settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Under Performance, click Settings.

Click the Data Execution Prevention tab, and then click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.

To turn off DEP for an individual program, select the check box next to the program that you want to turn off DEP for, and then click OK.

If the program is not in the list, click Add. Browse to the Program Files folder, find the executable file for the program (it will have an .exe file name extension), and then click Open.

Click OK, click OK in the System Properties dialog box if it appears, and then click OK again. You might need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

Note
    To turn on DEP for a program, clear the check box next to the program that you want to turn on DEP for, and then click OK.

I do not see Kindle for PC listed on my computer so it is not DEP protected.... Good Luck getting yours fixed...

Thanks
    [QUOTE=goodtimes1;3810939]This is from the help in Windows 7 ---

Change Data Execution Prevention settings

Note
    To turn on DEP for a program, clear the check box next to the program that you want to turn on DEP for, and then click OK.

I do not see Kindle for PC listed on my computer so it is not DEP protected.... Good Luck getting yours fixed...[/QUOTE

Vista does not allow disabling DEP on Kindle
    I can load Kindle PC no problems there
    but it wants to download 100s of books all over again , even thou there already in my library.
    Appears its a Kindle download problem , if I disable Kindles internet connection it loads all my
    library without crashing.
    Just have to wait till Amazon get their act together and release a stable Kindle PC.

Thanks

I would have thought after Kindle loaded your library with no internet connection that it would have kept that information and when you connected back to the internet, Kindle would not have needed to download all the info again...
    Sounds like there is a problem that Amazon needs to address...

Thanks
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by goodtimes1 Click here to enlarge
    I would have thought after Kindle loaded your library with no internet connection that it would have kept that information and when you connected back to the internet, Kindle would not have needed to download all the info again...
    Sounds like there is a problem that Amazon needs to address...
    The only work round I have found is to disable Kindle PC - but I can still purchase to my online library - download via my tablet then transfer
    the books over to my PC Kindle content and run it through Calibre.
    I dont want to load Calibre onto the tablet.

Short version of what happened-
    Kindle PC was erratic , loading 1143 books - wants to download 56 then crashes.
    I removed the 56 books from the librarys then restarted.
    It loaded 1030 - wanted to download 113 books - crash again.

At this point I gave up and disabled it.

Need More Time to Read beepointy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by thinx Click here to enlarge
    At this point I gave up and disabled it.
    When you disabled, did you mean "deregistered" the device. What I did was to "turn off" synchronization. I downloaded the new software, installed it and it has not downloaded any new books to my pc unless I ask it too.

Since I get many of the free books from Amazon, I do not want it to automatically download to my pc. Therefore, when I get into my account, I have it sent to one of my Android devices which happens to not exist anymore -- so I found a good use for it. This lets me look at the library in the cloud and decided what books I want to download where.
    ** My links are for MY use only. Want to share? Please upload to your own file host. ** Like my link, don't post but click Thanks button. ** PM/Visitor Msg me if link is down. ** Want a different format, go to
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    . ** Have a request, go to
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advanced Member kikucat's Avatar United-States
    Thanks

I have been having the same problem & figured it had something to do with my Calibre plug-ins & the older version of K4PC that they said you had to use. Is there a way to disable my K4PC but still use my plug-ins? I might be trolling thru my Documents folder & accidentally click on a Kindle file. *sigh* Most of the time it is easiest to just restart my machine rather than wait for K4PC to try & open.Sometimes it actually does open...20 mins later Click here to enlarge
    If you need a re-up I would be happy to oblige

Please PM me if a link is dead.
    As of 8/28/14 I can't re-up any posts within the last 2 years because my net book crashed.

Senior Member Z33b3d's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

I tried my Kindle for pc app after seeing this thread, found it wouldn't load at all Click here to enlarge and uninstalled it.

Then I went and got the latest version and now its running fine - once it finally comes up. (Took a couple of tries) I only use this app for free books from Amazon.

So that's my 2 cents worth on the matter. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Supreme Member bookfrog's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

I updated to the new version and everything was fine. I was a bit leery of doing so as I did not want to interfere with my Calibre plugins (lets me share all my great purchases with Bolt!). Fortunately it works fine.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bookfrog For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Huh, good to know that I can use an updated version of K4PC & still have my plug-ins work. I share books also & didn't want to screw things up Click here to enlarge I had to switch to the Adobe Digital Editions reader because my K4PC stopped working...I'll probably stick with it because I actually like it better. But at least I can buy from Amazon & retrieve the book for sharing.

As of 8/28/14 I can't re-up any posts within the last 2 years because my net book crashed.

Thanks
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kikucat Click here to enlarge
    I have been having the same problem & figured it had something to do with my Calibre plug-ins & the older version of K4PC that they said you had to use. Is there a way to disable my K4PC but still use my plug-ins? I might be trolling thru my Documents folder & accidentally click on a Kindle file. *sigh* Most of the time it is easiest to just restart my machine rather than wait for K4PC to try & open.Sometimes it actually does open...20 mins later Click here to enlarge
    If your using calibre - right click on any kindle file - "open with" pops up - then select calibre and "tick" open all similar files the same.
    I have my whole kindle library set this way

VIP Member ygraine's Avatar Ireland
    Thanks

My Kindle apps on both my Mac & my XP Netbook stopped working as well, and my Kindle itself, which is only four-month's old, is no longer 'recognized' on any machine--including those without Kindle apps. WTF?!?!?!

Thanks
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by beepointy Click here to enlarge
    When you disabled, did you mean "deregistered" the device. What I did was to "turn off" synchronization. I downloaded the new software, installed it and it has not downloaded any new books to my pc unless I ask it too.
    Already had synchronization off - I disabled it by switching the internet connection ( tools ) to proxy .

I suspect there is a dll. that is stuffing the file system up - on the tablet no books are archived but the PC keeps saying 100+
    Its no problem as I only need it for buying / free books - never read from it.
    good idea about using cloud

cheers

Thanks

I shut off the automatic update feature for my K4PC as instructed by the Calibre plug-ins instructions. Is there any way to turn it back on via the Amazon web page? I might be able to get my K4PC to come on...but it takes forever & screws with all of my other programs.

Never mind...I just downloaded the latest update. My k4pc opened up no problem & hopefully my Calibre plug-ins will work Click here to enlarge

Thanks

Update went fine and Calibre plug-in still works great here.

Senior Member Sawdustier's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    My Kindle for PC also quit working. I updated and now calibre won't open drm protected files. I updated calibre and plugins but no luck. Any suggestions from those who got it working

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast