Thread: E. E. "Doc" Smith - The Lensman series - 7 books

1. #1 E. E. "Doc" Smith - The Lensman series - 7 books 
    100 Dollar Club Member Pennyworth59's Avatar Norway
    Thanks

Edward Elmer Smith, Ph.D, was a writer of SF novels from the late twenties until his death in the mid sixties. He is perhaps the first author to write recognisable "Space Opera" novels, with his Skylark and Lensman series ("Triplanetary", "First Lensman", "Galactic Patrol", "Grey Lensman", "Second Stage Lensman", "Children of the Lens" and "The Vortex Blaster"). The latter books in particular featured not-implausible science (based on what was believed at the time it was written), a meticulously detailed plot spread over several self contained stories, characters changing and developing, space battles on a galactic scale and truly awesome weaponry. It was a source of inspiration for the "Green Lantern" comics, and was also one of the first SF series to portray any strong female characters, with Clarissa MacDougal (the "Red Lensman") and her daughters fully the equal of anyone they met. "The Skylark of Space" is a strong contender for the first SF book set outside our solar system.

Click here to enlarge
    this gets quite a bit bigger if you click on it

Now, fifty years on, the books look dated, but the stories remain popular. They were among the SF works that David Weber grew up with, and he had the following to say:

"E. E. "Doc" Smith's Lensmen are the seminal standard by which all space opera is judged and the books remain the great archetypes of the genre.

Millions of starships, planet-devouring negaspheres, "beams of lambent energy," "cones of destruction," hyper-spatial tubes, millenia-old beings of pure intellect and limitless psionic powers, whole galaxies wracked by war... these were the stuff and the scale on which Doc Smith wrote, and thumping good it was. Very few of the writers who have followed in Smith's footsteps have matched his scale and inventiveness; none have matched his singlehanded impact on his genre."

All are unabridged. With a bitrate of 128 kbps.

Narrator: Reed McColm

Lensman 1 - Triplanetary

Length 9:57:57. 548 MB.

Click here to enlarge

From the atomic age in Atlantis to a world remote in space and time, two incredible ancient races, the Arisians and the Eddorians, are in the midst of an interstellar war with Earth as the prize. The Arisians, using advanced mental technology, have foreseen the invasion of their galaxy by the corrupt and evil Eddorians, so they begin a breeding program on every planet in their universe. Their goal...to produce super warriors who can hold off the invading Eddorians.

What the Critics Say
    "The most towering figure in science fiction, thanks to the enormous scope of his novels." (Isaac Asimov)
    "If you wish to understand the roots of modern science fiction, you have to read the Lensman saga." (Allen Steele)
    "A finalist for a special Hugo Award for All-Time Best Series, 'Lensman' is considered by many sf heads to be the greatest of the space operas and clearly a source for such successors as Star Trek and Star Wars." (Library Journal)

This Content Is Available To Members Only. Please Register Here

Lensman 2 - First Lensman

Length 11:02:32. 606 MB.

Click here to enlarge

In the not-too-distant future, while fleets of commercial space ships travel between the planets of numerous solar systems, a traveler named Virgil Samms visits the planet Arisia. There, he becomes the first wearer of the Lens, the almost-living symbol of the forces of law and order. As the first Lensman, Samms helps to form the Galactic Patrol, a battalion of Lensmen who are larger-than-life heroes. These soldiers are the best of the best, with incredible skill, stealth, and drive. They are dedicated and incorruptible fighters who are willing to die to protect the universe from the most horrific threat it has ever known.

Lensman 3 - Galactic Patrol

Length 9:55:27. 545 MB.

Click here to enlarge

The Galactic Patrol's Lensmen are the most feared peacekeepers in the galaxy. The "Lens", a telepathic jewel matched to the ego of its wearer, is the ultimate weapon in the war against the merciless pirate Boskone and his forces of lawlessness. The only problem is the Galactic Patrol isn't sure how to capitalize on the Lens' incredible powers. But new graduate Kimball Kinnison is determined to learn. Taking command of the experimental fighting ship the Brittania, Kinnison and his crew set off on a journey of harrowing adventures, coming face to face with deadly space creatures and the evil pirate Helmuth...who may be the dreaded Boskone himself.

Lensman 4 - Gray Lensman

Length 10:32:30. 581 MB.

Click here to enlarge

Lensman Kimball Kinnison has attained the goal which every Lensman seeks, and so few attain, that of Unattached Lensman, a Lensman who is accountable to no one anywhere, completely independent, completely free. Further, he is learning how to fully use his lens. This knowledge is crucial, because as he works his way up through the ranks of the enemy the problems are growing more and more complex and dangerous. Coming face-to-face, and mind-to-mind, with the multi-tentacled scaley creature in his corpse-littered domain, Kimball Kinnison must use everything he has learned to defeat the beast or die trying.

I first read the Lensmen series in 1958 when I was 14. I saw the books again on Aud*ble.com and thought "why not?". I am so glad I did. This has brought back memories and the books are just as enjoyable as I remember them. Three more to go and the kids are thoroughly enjoying them also. A must read for those adventure lovers amongst us especially if you loved the serials in the Saturday matinee at the movies, EXCELLENT
    Paul

Lensman 5 - Second Stage Lensman

Length 10:52:25. 597 MB.

Click here to enlarge

Second Stage Lensmen is the fifth of seven classic "Lensman" books, long recognized as the greatest space opera ever written. This edition is a facsimile of the 1950 Fantasy Press first edition hardcover, hard to find and expensive when found. Again Kimball Kinnison and the Galactic Patrol take up battle with Boskonia. The warfare leads to some odd corners of the universe and some stranger worlds. There is the planet Lyrane where a matriarchal society exists; the frigid world of Onio, with its incredibly alien inhabitants, on which the utterly weird and unhuman Lensman, Nadreck of Palain Seven works so efficiently. Typical E.E. Smith action, intrigue and imagination.

Lensman 6 - Children of the Lens

Length 11:02:13. 606 MB.

Click here to enlarge

Children of the Lens is the sixth volume of the classic “Lensman” books, long recognized as the greatest space opera ever written.

“Twenty years have passed since the events portrayed in Second Stage Lensman. To Kimball Kinnison and his wife Clarrissa have been born five children Kit, the eldest, and two sets of twin sisters. These are the 'Children of the Lens' the offspring of uncounted generations of selected matings. The most capable, the most brilliant minds in the universe. Their job is the conclusion of the Boskonian war, and how they accomplish this end and gain ultimate victory makes up the greater part of the book.”

Lensman 7 - The Vortex Blaster

Length 7:40:02. 421 MB.

Click here to enlarge

One man against the basic energy of the universe, unleashed in ravening fury that was “Storm” Cloud. Unique was the only way to describe him, yet alone in his single-handed battle. The appalling destructiveness of a loose atomic vortex could be canceled out only by destroying the vortex itself. While not even the most massive and modern of electronic computers could figure out how to destroy a loose vortex, “Storm” Cloud could and did. To Galactic Civilization, the loose vortices were just one menace among many. It was “Storm's” unique brain, itself a computer with fantastic powers that enabled him to select and direct a duodecaplylatomate bomb with exactly the right energy to snuff each vortex out of existence. The day a runaway vortex exploded in his home was the day “Storm” Cloud became the Vortex Blaster!

And now it's complete. Enjoy this magical Space Opera! Click here to enlarge

If you download these, a couple of words of thanks and a click on the +rep button (the scales down left) is very much appreciated. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Pennyworth59; 03-07-2009 at 10:20 PM.

2. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Pennyworth59 For This Useful Post:

Show Thankful Users

Thanks
    One word: Wow!
    And another: Thanks!

Me? Evil? Naaah! Brucifer's Avatar United-States
    Thanks
    We can always rely upon Pennyworth. Once again, you've come though for us.
    Click here to enlarge

Thanks
    I'm getting these as a present for my Dad, he'll love them so much!

Thanks!! xx

Thanks
    Thanks a lot for the real space opera classics. Appreciated.

100 Dollar Club Member Pennyworth59's Avatar Norway
    Thanks

Just uploaded the seventh book. Enjoy!

Thanks
    Thank you Pennyworth59

Thanks
    thanks you much
    !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    thank you again!!!!!

Lacking in some direction Gern Blenston's Avatar United-States
    Thanks

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    thanks 4 a great post these books kept me sane in prison many years ago 1970's
    again many thanks

Junior Member pascalean's Avatar UK
    Thanks
    Can't wait to get these downloaded they look fantastic.

Tortured Soul the_phoenix's Avatar Canada
    Thanks

How did I miss this first time round? Thanks P!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I no longer upload to Rapidshare. Please don't ask me for RS links. Feel free to re-up any of my uploads to whatever filehost you like.

Thanks
    Flipping hellClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    This is a phenomenal postClick here to enlarge
    Absolutely superb
    Many, many thanksClick here to enlarge

Junior Member rochester_house's Avatar England
    Thanks
    Hi, thanks for these. Read the books first when I was a student (back when I had hair). Drove my brother mad using the teapot as a 'Delamitter 48' (hope I got that right)

Will have fun listening to these on long car journeys.

Devoted User tyger18's Avatar United-States
    Thanks
    I read these volumns when I was young (many many years ago) and now they shall be read to me.....many thanks

Elder slender_chicken's Avatar United-States
    Thanks

Thanks!!

Elder lancelot69's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    1 link per book:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to lancelot69 For This Useful Post:

Show Thankful Users

VIP Member WC640's Avatar United-States
    Far enough away I can't see the city lights.
    Thanks

Absolutely fantastic series.

Chief Baggage Smasher Starrider's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    Thank you. I read these books way back when I was in college, and I really enjoyed them. Doc Smith was the mentor for so many great SF writers
    Ez

Starrider

Junior Member Pi Jiu's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    Thanks for the links to a great series.

24. #22 E. E. Smith - First Lensman 
    Junior Member alekseyter's Avatar Russian-Federation
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge
    E. E. Smith - First Lensman (Lensman Series, Book 2)
    2007 | MP3@128 kbps | ~11:04:00 | 608 Mb
    Genre: science fiction

In the not-too-distant future, while fleets of commercial space ships travel between the planets of numerous solar systems, a traveler named Virgil Samms visits the planet Arisia. There, he becomes the first wearer of the Lens, the almost-living symbol of the forces of law and order. As the first Lensman, Samms helps to form the Galactic Patrol, a battalion of Lensmen who are larger-than-life heroes. These soldiers are the best of the best, with incredible skill, stealth, and drive. They are dedicated and incorruptible fighters who are willing to die to protect the universe from the most horrific threat it has ever known.

Download:

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alekseyter For This Useful Post:

Elder lancelot69's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    1 alternative link:

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lancelot69 For This Useful Post:

Junior Member Walterius19's Avatar United-States
    Thanks
    Thanks! I read them in 1958 myself. This is a delightful find. I really miss axes cutting through bulkheads...

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Walterius19 For This Useful Post: