Thread: Good things that happened on Friday 13th

1. #1 Good things that happened on Friday 13th 
    Helpful Elder Member helper's Avatar Canada
    Thanks
    Click here to enlarge

For those who suffer from friggatriskaidekaphobia, the lone Friday the 13th in 2011 is a cause for anxiety. Luckily, that fear is unfounded, because Friday the 13th doesn't have to be a bad thing.

In fact, many positive events have transpired on the feared day. Here are just a few.

5. The opening ceremony of the historic 2004 Olympics in Athens, Greece, took place on Friday, August 13, 2004. The ceremony in the birthplace of the Olympiad went off without a hitch.

4. This year Jupiter will line up in the sky with Venus, Mercury and Mars on Friday, May 13. The once-in-a-lifetime astrological spectacle will be visible in Australia. It is not expected to trigger the end of the world.

3. Black Sabbath released their self-titled first album on Friday, February 13, 1970. Just try and imagine a world without Ozzy Osbourne.

2. American founding father Benjamin Franklin wrote his famous aphorism, "Everything appears to promise that it will last; but in this world nothing is certain but death and taxes," on Friday, November 13, 1789.

1. Whether this event qualifies as "good" remains up for debate, but the Olsen twins were born on Friday, June 13, 1986.

The evidence to support fear of Friday the 13th is close to non-existent. In fact, nobody can even pin down how the superstition started.
    This Content Is Available To Members Only. Please Register Here
    Some link it to numerology, others to the day Jesus was crucified, while others still see a link to Norse mythology. Dan Brown popularized a connection between Friday the 13th and the Knights Templar in his 2003 novel "The Da Vinci Code," but, according to experts, the link is tenuous at best.

However, if you insist on fearing the future, 2012 is going to be a big year for you. Not only is the world rumored to be ending, but there will be three Friday the 13ths — in January, April and July.

Senior Member cariatide's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

Here in Chile friday 13th means nothing. It is all tuesday 13, and for those of you who can read Spanish, here they say:
    "Martes 13,
    no te cases ni te embarques,
    ni vayas a ninguna parte."
    I have lived in the north and south, and neither day has ever done anything to me, or have not noticed.

Thanks

Friday the 13th has always been my lucky day Click here to enlarge. Something good, unexpected, cheerful always made me happy on that date... hope it'll go on like that!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

aka Ducky... siomibaby's Avatar Greece
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cariatide Click here to enlarge
    Here in Chile friday 13th means nothing. It is all tuesday 13, and for those of you who can read Spanish, here they say:
    "Martes 13,
    no te cases ni te embarques,
    ni vayas a ninguna parte."
    I have lived in the north and south, and neither day has ever done anything to me, or have not noticed.
    Actually, here in Greece, it's Tuesday the 13th as well.
    Some people are a little superstitious but it's not that bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Valued Member ricardo555's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    When I lived in Chesterfield, England. We lived at number 13, the window cleaner never cleaned our windows? I asked him numerous times to add us to his round and he kept saying yes, but then never did them. A neighbour told us he once fell off his ladder and broke his arm, and he was afraid that if he started washing our windows it would happen again - this is in 20th cen not 12th ! Anyway I had to do them myself.
    We lived there 10 years with no problems.

Valued Member ricardo555's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    Oh by the way - do you know Friday 13th is called black Friday?

During the Boer war a company of British soldiers were ambushed and wiped out by a Boer force, this was unheard of against a so called 'inferior' enemy. The headlines of one of the nationals was 'Black Friday' . And so it stuck.

Supreme Member minicooperz's Avatar Australia
    Thanks

checked out the wiki link there and it's a good read, thanks mate!

Supreme Member sajgon2010's Avatar Poland
    Thanks

Very interesting facts, the man is studying entire life. from my experience I know that everyone know that these are only superstitions but they are surrendering to these suggestions and believe in it

Thanks Bush Pig for the siggie

Supreme Member felcherman's Avatar England
    Thanks

My daughter was born on Friday 13th, she is 18months now and very evil. so it is a bad day. hehe
    Please PM me if my links are down, Thanks!