Elder stvnsprngr's Avatar United-States
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge

The Deluge (1974)
    Potop (original title)
    5h 15min - Adventure, History, Romance
    7/10
    This Content Is Available To Members Only. Please Register Here
    Description: The Deluge (Polish: Potop) is a 1974 Polish-Soviet historical drama film directed by Jerzy Hoffman. The film is based on the 1886 novel of the same name by Henryk Sienkiewicz. It was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film at the 47th Academy Awards, but lost to Amarcord. The film is the third most popular in the history of Polish cinema, with more than 27.6 million tickets sold in its native country by 1987. Further 30.5 million were sold in the Soviet Union.

The film is set in the 17th century during the Swedish invasion of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in the years 1655 to 1658, known as The Deluge, which was eventually thwarted by the Polish-Lithuanian forces. However, a quarter of the Polish-Lithuanian population died through war and plague, and the country's economy was devastated.

The original film was digitally restored and shown on Polish TV in December, 2013. For the film's 40th anniversary, a new cut named Potop Redivivus will be released in the Fall of 2014. It is two hours shorter than the original, to make it more accessible to present day moviegoers.
    Click here to enlarge
    ...to make it more accessible to present day moviegoers.
    That never works.
    The copy I found available runs 04:46:40.

Sienkiewicz, 5 May 1846 – 15 November 1916, was the author of some great historical adventures like 'Quo Vadis', Publication date 1895 (Film - 1951). After reading that one, I discovered his historical novels dealing with Polish knights in medieval adventures.
    The challenge for this is not it's length. Being immersed in a huge saga/epic is a pleasure, whether it's cinematic or literary. (I say that though I'm only a third of the way in.)
    The challenge is that film standards of 1974, even in Hollywood, have changed and improved. No longer is melodramatic acting an acceptable standard, even in period films, as the biblical film re-makers are finding out. Dubbing the dialog in post production is no longer acceptable because it just doesn't work having actors try to match the emotional intent of a line acted weeks before. In this case, the subtitles are fine, it's the actors' readings, in the original language, that are the weak spot.

Click here to enlarge

That said, if you revel, as I still do, in period martial adventures that plausibly evoke the time and place, this is wonderful.
    These are not the knights in shiny armor, like "Excalibur". These knights are Cossack-like ruffians fighting with swords and lances and guns and artillery.
    Against Swedish aggression!Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Cinematography, locations, settings, costumes, logistics, complicated battles and a cast of faces straight out of old Dutch masters' paintings make up for the faults.
    This is a 'cast of thousands' epic, the way they used to do 'em.

Set in approximately the same period, "Captain Alatriste: The Spanish Musketeer" 2006, is a far superior example of how good it can be.
    I am a temporary biological event existing in an indifferent universe.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stvnsprngr For This Useful Post:

Supreme Member sorei's Avatar Germany
    Thanks

Passengers (2016) Drama, Romance, SciFi in that order (watched a cam version from bolt)

A spacecraft traveling to a distant colony planet and transporting thousands of people has a malfunction in its sleep chambers. As a result, two passengers are awakened 90 years early.
    Click here to enlarge

loved it.
    8/10

psychological drama. unity of time and place. A bit of Adam and Eve without the repopulation twist.
    you are here and now. for the next 90 years.

Michael Sheen: great.
    ....So you have no secrets? You heard the lady....
    that path was clear at that point.

enjoy the journey through human mind.
    No Hal. No 2001. Still a journey.
    A good one (for my taste.)
    I may disapprove of what you say,but I will defend to the death your right to say it(E.B. Hall) You are only given one little spark of madness.You mustn't lose it(Williams) Ever tried,ever failed,no matter.Try again,fail again,fail better(Beckett)

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sorei For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sorei Click here to enlarge
    Passengers (2016) Drama, Romance, SciFi in that order (watched a cam version from bolt)

Click here to enlarge

loved it.
    8/10

psychological drama. unity of time and place. A bit of Adam and Eve without the repopulation twist.
    you are here and now. for the next 90 years.

Michael Sheen: great.
    ....So you have no secrets? You heard the lady....
    that path was clear at that point.

enjoy the journey through human mind.
    No Hal. No 2001. Still a journey.
    A good one (for my taste.)
    Glad you enjoyed it. I just couldn't believe it took them 2 years to realise the ship was on fire!?! Really is just a love story in space, with the whole we've got a small fire that could endanger everybody.....wait, hang on problem solved, back to the love story. Not really my cup of tea and certainly not what was billed. 2/10

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to morrison1 For This Useful Post:

Supreme Member sorei's Avatar Germany
    Thanks

@morrison
    I get your point. I was wondering myself why do you not search for system errors, and despite the fact he might not have been able to fix those.
    then again, as the assistant so convincingly always repeated, the pods do not malfunction. one of the topics: the trust in the system. which is why they did not think about checking. I guess. the system might have failed, at least once, later twice, but those were... minor glitches. not talking about how kind of easily they fixed things then. it was a tool for aurora to finally realize the need Jim might have had for company. a tool. not a topic.
    I may disapprove of what you say,but I will defend to the death your right to say it(E.B. Hall) You are only given one little spark of madness.You mustn't lose it(Williams) Ever tried,ever failed,no matter.Try again,fail again,fail better(Beckett)

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sorei For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Click here to enlarge

Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan (2011)
    Not Rated - 1h 30min - Documentary, Biography
    8/10
    Ray Harryhausen, Peter Jackson, Terry Gilliam, Guillermo del Toro, James Cameron, John Landis, Ray Bradbury
    Best documentary I've ever seen on the man and his work.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Anyone a fan of 'Famous Monsters of Filmland'?
    I'd've gone btsht crazy if gifs had existed then.
    On the other hand, if gifs had existed then, I'd've never left my bedroom...

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to stvnsprngr For This Useful Post:

Comic Fan Mansuhr's Avatar Netherlands
    Thanks

Max Steel

Click here to enlarge
    The adventures of teenager Max McGrath and his alien companion, Steel, who must harness and combine their tremendous new powers to evolve into the turbo-charged superhero Max Steel.
    Reminds me of those 1980's and 90's flicks where you think any moment some good SFX will be presented.
    But overall its a bit meager. They throw in the well-known high school romance. I dont remember it going that easy.
    The fighting sequence is...nah
    2 out 5
    Imagination Is The Highest Form Of Research

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mansuhr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Click here to enlarge

Singin' in the Rain (1952)
    1h 43min - Comedy, Musical, Romance
    9/10
    Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Debbie Reynolds, Jean Hagen

Click here to enlarge

Aside from the obvious, the reason to re-watch this is that it's a really good Golden Age studio 'Hollywood fantasy'. It is very well made and is an example of how good a studio movie could be when they got everything right.
    I don't like musicals anymore, (The last I remember enjoying was "All That Jazz"), but I certainly did when I saw this one for the first time, and, I find it's still very likeable.
    Possibly it's because it is set in an environment where it was reasonable for people to break into song and dance, I deem it the best of its kind.

Click here to enlarge

Another reason to re-watch it is radioguy46 has an excellent copy with an excellenter commentary track hosted by Debbie Reynolds and including the writers, director, Donald O'Conner and others involved.
    One of those 'just right' commentaries that entertains and informs.

After seeing Jean Hagen's Billie Holiday impersonation here, watching her in the role of 'Doll' in "The Asphalt Jungle" shows she was more than a movie star.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Supermoderator Message
    thread continued here
    http://bolt.cd/board/showthread.php?t=1390830

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to stvnsprngr For This Useful Post: