Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: English Premier League 16/17 Discussion

VIP Member 4thDoctor's Avatar Great-Britain
    Thanks

Well, I watched the Spurs vs Man U match this afternoon here in the U.S. (LIVE), and then the
    closing ceremony of White Heart Lane.

You know, Forest is my club, but I've always had such a great love, and respect for the history
    of the game, and it is a wonderful history.

Many great clubs, with legendary players, Managers, and characters down through the ages, and
    it's all to be celebrated, and appreciated.

It was great to see the past legends show up for the ceremony, but also sad for me, as I hate to
    see the closing of any of the great grounds.

Some grounds should always be...whether, it's your club, or not.

I was against the closing of Highbury, and the original Wembley, as well as White Heart Lane today.

I get why they close them, but I don't approve. Those grounds are soaked in sporting legend, and
    their history is a part of their cities, and the tapestry of England. They are the great Cathedrals of
    European football, and to be loved, cherished always, and never let go.

I don't like Manchester United, but I hope there will always be an Old Trafford, an Anfield in Liverpool.

Modernize them sure, but keep them for as long as you can. Once they're one - they're gone.

I personally see no real beauty in the cold steel of the modern worlds biggest, and best stadiums, built
    on profits, and with more in mind.

Where as those grand old grounds of old...there's a lot of love invested there.

Just My opinion.

DOC
    "I'm a Time Lord...I walk in eternity."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4thDoctor For This Useful Post:

Supreme Member mytea@om's Avatar Japan
    Thanks

Totally agree 4D....I had a lump in my throat throughout the game and closing ceremony.

Goodbye White Hart Lane: an iconic stadium remembered by those who knew it best

Click here to enlarge

This Content Is Available To Members Only. Please Register Here
    White Hart Lane: a love story

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mytea@om For This Useful Post:

Bolt Elite snowy25's Avatar UK
    Thanks

Congrats to Chelsea and Conte. I think at the start of the season there were many, including myself, who thought it would be one of the two Manchester Clubs winning the title. Both had new managers but United had a proven PL manager and City had a great squad. Chelsea looked a shell of their former self after the previous seasons antics and Conte had been out of club football for 2 seasons. When they lost back to back games and City went top many thought Chelsea had no chance. Even the pundits thought Conte and his team would struggle to even reach the CL places. Yet he changed formation and he and the team havn't looked back since. Many thought Luiz coming back was a mistake yet he seems a lot more steady than he was previously. Kante came from Leicester with huge pressure on his small shoulders with some saying it would be a step too far for him. Yet he has been the player of the season for the club and in most fans eyes the whole PL. There were bust ups, off field antics, transfer rumours and even rumours of the manager leaving to go back to Italy yet they pushed on and won the league. So congrats to them.

As for the others its been a little disappointing for the Manchester clubs. One finished outside of the top 4 and one looked a long way off their best. United will at least have a chance to reach the CL due to their escapades in the EL. In fact they could actually end up better off depending on the final standings than their neighbours. Should United win they go straight into the CL group stage. Should City finish 4th they would have to play a qualifying game.

Liverpool will qualfiy for Europe but it could be either the Ll or CL. It will come down to the final game of the season against 'Boro. Lose or draw and they could drop to 5th and into the EL. Win and they will go into the CL and Arsenal will have to suffer no CL football for the first time in a very long time. You would have to think that would be the death knell of Wenger's management career at the club. He has survived pressure from the fans because of the top 4 finishes. Without it it would be tough to stay in the role. However as they say its not over till the fat lady sings and Liverpool do have a habit of dropping points against lesser teams so Arsenal may yet pull off a lucky escape.

As for the others, Leicester turned their season around after Ranieri was sacked including beating Sevilla in the CL over two legs. As upset as fans were with the sacking I think it has proven to be the right decision. Southampton once again have shown that even if they sell their best players they can still do a job in the PL. West Ham moved home and it seems to have affected them as this season was poor compared to the last time around. Bilic may well have managed his last season with the club he holds close to his heart. Big Sam recovered from his ill fated England management job to rescue Palace who looked to many as doomed earlier this season. Burnley and Watford stay for another go around and Everton look like a side that could trouble the EL spots potentially down the line.

What this season does show is that next season should be a cracker. Big names into the league, possibly big names out of it also. Managerial changes, new rivalries and clubs desperate to follow Leicester and Chelsea as PL winners.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snowy25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by snowy25 Click here to enlarge
    Congrats to Chelsea and Conte. I think at the start of the season there were many, including myself, who thought it would be one of the two Manchester Clubs winning the title. Both had new managers but United had a proven PL manager and City had a great squad. Chelsea looked a shell of their former self after the previous seasons antics and Conte had been out of club football for 2 seasons. When they lost back to back games and City went top many thought Chelsea had no chance. Even the pundits thought Conte and his team would struggle to even reach the CL places. Yet he changed formation and he and the team havn't looked back since. Many thought Luiz coming back was a mistake yet he seems a lot more steady than he was previously. Kante came from Leicester with huge pressure on his small shoulders with some saying it would be a step too far for him. Yet he has been the player of the season for the club and in most fans eyes the whole PL. There were bust ups, off field antics, transfer rumours and even rumours of the manager leaving to go back to Italy yet they pushed on and won the league. So congrats to them.

As for the others its been a little disappointing for the Manchester clubs. One finished outside of the top 4 and one looked a long way off their best. United will at least have a chance to reach the CL due to their escapades in the EL. In fact they could actually end up better off depending on the final standings than their neighbours. Should United win they go straight into the CL group stage. Should City finish 4th they would have to play a qualifying game.

Liverpool will qualfiy for Europe but it could be either the Ll or CL. It will come down to the final game of the season against 'Boro. Lose or draw and they could drop to 5th and into the EL. Win and they will go into the CL and Arsenal will have to suffer no CL football for the first time in a very long time. You would have to think that would be the death knell of Wenger's management career at the club. He has survived pressure from the fans because of the top 4 finishes. Without it it would be tough to stay in the role. However as they say its not over till the fat lady sings and Liverpool do have a habit of dropping points against lesser teams so Arsenal may yet pull off a lucky escape.

As for the others, Leicester turned their season around after Ranieri was sacked including beating Sevilla in the CL over two legs. As upset as fans were with the sacking I think it has proven to be the right decision. Southampton once again have shown that even if they sell their best players they can still do a job in the PL. West Ham moved home and it seems to have affected them as this season was poor compared to the last time around. Bilic may well have managed his last season with the club he holds close to his heart. Big Sam recovered from his ill fated England management job to rescue Palace who looked to many as doomed earlier this season. Burnley and Watford stay for another go around and Everton look like a side that could trouble the EL spots potentially down the line.

What this season does show is that next season should be a cracker. Big names into the league, possibly big names out of it also. Managerial changes, new rivalries and clubs desperate to follow Leicester and Chelsea as PL winners.
    Wow this post is amazing!!! You went through the whole seasons situations without once mentioning the club that actually made the title race a little bit interesting. It's the same with the whole media/puntits...(soz for the pun bit) who had Spurs written off at the start of the season, G.Neville actually coming out and saying as such.

Click here to enlarge

But it's all good by me...keep underestimating us as I'm sure this team will be winning the league sooner rather than later.
    Remember it took Fergie 5 years to win his first trophy and next season will be Poch's 4th.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mytea@om For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I will be honest and say that when I wrote that Spurs slipped my mind. I guess I was in a rush after a long day at work to write my thoughts on the season. However I will now add my thoughts about Spurs. They had a very good league season let down by their form in Europe. The pressure of playing at Wembley seemed to affect them and they seemed to crumble under it. However in the league they looked likely to push the teams around them and challenge for the title. In the end they fell short but only because Conte managed to get Chelsea to win games when it looked like they would draw them. Spurs have lost less games than Chelsea but have drawn more than twice as many as them. Those 10 points lost by drawing 5 more games would have meant Spurs could actually have won the title.

I have no doubt that if Spurs keep Poch along with their key players and can be consistent they will challenge for the title. They have shown this season they can do that and as I have said had they won those 5 games they drew more than Chelsea they would have won the title. The thing is they need to do it at Wembley next season and they looked out of sorts playing there in Europe.

On another note I see Walter Mazzarri is to leave Watford at the end of the season. So the club will be looking for their 9th manager in 5 years and the 8th since the Italian Pozzo family took over the club. Apparently he spoke through a translator and had issues with key senior players. Former Leicester manager Claudio Ranieri and Hull City's Marco Silva are the early bookmakers' favourites to replace Mazzarri.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snowy25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I will be honest and say that when I wrote that Spurs slipped my mind. I guess I was in a rush after a long day at work to write my thoughts on the season. However I will now add my thoughts about Spurs. They had a very good league season let down by their form in Europe. The pressure of playing at Wembley seemed to affect them and they seemed to crumble under it. However in the league they looked likely to push the teams around them and challenge for the title. In the end they fell short but only because Conte managed to get Chelsea to win games when it looked like they would draw them. Spurs have lost less games than Chelsea but have drawn more than twice as many as them. Those 10 points lost by drawing 5 more games would have meant Spurs could actually have won the title.

I have no doubt that if Spurs keep Poch along with their key players and can be consistent they will challenge for the title. They have shown this season they can do that and as I have said had they won those 5 games they drew more than Chelsea they would have won the title. The thing is they need to do it at Wembley next season and they looked out of sorts playing there in Europe.
    I agree with a lot of what you say Snowy, but I feel this Wembley thing is overblown a tad, the main reason we didn't perform as we should have done in the CL games was down to lots of injuries and not having a settled side at the time. Without making excuses we also had Monaco in our group, Ligue 1 champions and CL semi-finalists remember, tho we should have dealt with Leverkusen and come second in the group. We'll learn from that, also remember Arsenal when they played at Wembley for CL games couldn't get out their group 2 seasons running...

As for Pochettino staying, I really believe this guy is in for the long haul, he can visualise the future and this project and wants to make it his legacy at the club, he'll never go to Barca for obvious reasons with his connection to Espanyol and already given swift no thank you to Inter. His has done tremendous work in the last 3 seasons first getting rid of all the deadwood that didn't buy into his philosophy, secondly building the young core group of players who have massively performed for 2 seasons. In the beginning his reign was too continuously achieve top 4 status and CL football not be challenging for the title 2 seasons running, which is an amazing feat. Next season will be his biggest challenge and the club has to back him with increased spending to continually improving the squad. He has a ruthless streak as well and any players he feels are not mentally up for the challenge can go, as we are seeing with Walker . The futures very bright and I have a feeling this could be our decade!

We shall see....COYS!!!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mytea@om For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Poch said today he is going nowhere and as you say considering its Barcelona that supposedly want him I can see no reason why he would go. He has made it very clear numerous times as an Espanyol supporter he could never manage Barcelona. Now in football you can never say never but it would seem he is at least at this moment in time not going to change his mind.

As a neutral who enjoyed watching him at Southampton build on what was there previously so well and then at Spurs I hope he does stay. We need managers like him in the league who are forward thinkers and who are hopefully inspiring young managers to move with the times. Too many managers are still old school and stuck in the past. For example BFS can do a job at Palace but he is a dinosaur these days in management. He was when at Bolton a visionary with his training, fitness, sport science stuff and it worked for him and them. What he did 20 years ago is now standard at clubs but he has not changed so the game has caught up and passed him alongside many other coaches. We need people liek Poch, Eddie Howe etc to take us forward.

I think you make some good points about Wembley and as a supporter you would be better placed than me to see the whole picture. Hopefully that experience of playing at Wembley will help them when they go there in their league games. What it obviously will do is allow more fans to have access to home games and increased revenue which is always good these days. I think that alongside what they alreayd have should allow them to look at bringing in some quality players to build upon the recent success. Next season is huge as you say because they have made the step from outside the top 4 to 3rd and now 2nd so there is only one place left really to aim for. If they can do as I said before and turn those draws into wins, as Chelsea did, it could make a huge difference. I think the squad is nearly there but a few tweaks and they should be up for the fight again next time around.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snowy25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just a quick follow up to my previous post regarding Spurs. Just watched the game against my hometown, who they destroyed quite easily. Spurs made a little club history also tonight when Son scored their second goal. This is the first time 3 players have scored 20 or more goals in the same season for the club. If they can do that again next season Spurs will surely be contenders.

Also it was said after Kane's first breakout season that he was a one season wonder and he would need to do it season after season to be a great player. Well it seems that he has indeed done that as again he bangs in goals for fun. 91 goals now I believe in 3 seasons since he started to play regularly. He also now looks likely to be the Golden Boot winner again.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snowy25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have to get this off my chest, but i'm fuming again with Sky's obsession with selling off our team, talking about 'bigger clubs' coming in for Kane, etc..it's pissing me right off and I feel so disrespectful after last nights performance.
    I love Poch's dignified approach, but at times I'd love him to just tell them to fuck off (in manager speak terms, not literally, although that would be funny).
    Can you imagine Ferguson's reaction to a similar line of questioning? They'd ask him once and not dare again.
    It feels they really don't want Spurs to progress and maybe just maybe they are really worried we could upset the apple cart of their supposedly big club top 4 mentality.....W**kers!!!

Rant over:

Click here to enlarge

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mytea@om For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think that is one reason for it, Spurs are not seen as part of that elite group of PL teams yet by Sky. Funnily enough often by two pundits whose own teams have fallen from grace in recent times. I suspect that there is a little professional jealousy there in that if Spurs continue on their current form United, Liverpool or both will be affected by it. As seen this season United will finish out of the top 4 and Liverpool could yet also fail to qualify for the CL. A few short seasons ago that would have been unheard of. Now Spurs are making moves the established "big " teams are under threat and certain people do not like it.

Everton fans also feel the same way in regards to the media talk about Lukaku. If Everton want to do what Spurs have done they need to keep their best players and build around them. However the media constantly try to link Lukaku with other clubs and have done for the last couple of seasons. So Everton fans know how it feels to be a Spurs fan when the media are involved.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snowy25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks Snowy, again a good analysis of your opinion on the situation affecting the status quo...

I love this piece by a certain Joe Jones.

In defence of Tottenham Hotspur's failed Premier League title tilts

So close, yet so far for Tottenham Hotspur once again - for the second year in a row, they have missed out on the Premier League title and will be forced to settle for a top-three place.

This has led to many people describing them as "bottlers", who failed to make the most of a weak competition field last season, allowing a Leicester City side who had just swerved relegation last year to take the title, and this time round, they crumbled in their pursuit of Chelsea.

But one key element is worth taking into account - what did Leicester and Chelsea have in common in their respective title tilts?

Neither of them had any European football to contend with all season.

Having survived relegation by the skin of their teeth in 2014-15, all Leicester had to plan for were domestic exploits - and as they were knocked out of both English cup competitions quite early on, they were playing just one game a week for the most part.

Likewise Chelsea, who endured a dismal campaign last season, also had no Champions League and Europa League to deal with, while five of the other Magnificent Seven did.

In 2015-16, Spurs went all the way to the last 16 of the Europa League, and although they were lucky for the most part in terms of travel plans - all but one of their opponents were based in Western Europe, although the one that wasn't was based in Azerbaijan, which is further East than Iraq - it means the teams they faced were especially tough.

Anderlecht, AS Monaco, Fiorentina and Borussia Dortmund - all these teams have made, and often make, the Champions League, so they would require a lot of exertion on Spurs' behalf.

Spurs' third-placed finish in 2016 then saw them in the Champions League, but despite their group not being especially difficult considering - Monaco, CSKA Moscow and Bayer Leverkusen - the added element of playing at an unfamiliar home stadium in Wembley didn't exactly help, and soon enough they were out of the CL and eventually out of the EL at the first hurdle.

All the while, they were playing in a domestic league which has developed to the point where every team is more than capable of beating everyone else, so as a club whose strength in depth is not quite on the same par at the establish big clubs (or rich clubs, depending on your perspective), they would have had a harder time of things.

It remains to be seen whether Spurs will be able to have another stab at the Premier League title next season, given the upheaval of leaving White Hart Lane for Wembley, as well as the possible chasing of their star players by clubs in England and elsewhere who could double or triple their wages at the drop of a hat.

But Spurs certainly deserve respect for building an impressive team - arguably the best they're had in the last few generations - on a fairly small budget. I mean, Harry Kane came through the academy, Eric Dier was snapped up from Sporting Lisbon, and Dele Alli joined from MK Dons. And if we're talking home-grown, the spine of the squad is English.

I'm old enough to remember a Premier League which, save for one blip year where Blackburn Rovers claimed the title, it was only ever a two-horse race - Manchester United and Arsenal. It was dull as dishwater.

So I hope that Spurs can maintain their momentum and not let disruptions stop them from being a title-chasing side - the league is so much better for it.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mytea@om For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think the reality is that Spurs have been unlucky in that when they are primed for a title win 2 teams have had amazing fairy tale seasons to deny them. Leicester last season and Chelsea this season both defied expectations to win the title. I think Spurs didn't bottle it at all but just lost focus after the title slipped from their hands. Even the biggest sides such as Barcelona and Bayern have done that in the past. After a long hard slog of a season the title is gone with a few games left and suddenly you feel deflated. Its natural and I think that all that happened to Spurs.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snowy25 For This Useful Post:

Advanced Member -El-'s Avatar Scotland
    Thanks

Now this could of made things extremely interesting for next season if it gets a u-turn.

Alisher Usmanov: Arsenal shareholder makes £1bn takeover bid to Stan Kroenke

Uzbek-born Russian billionaire Alisher Usmanov has made a £1bn bid to wrest control of Arsenal from majority shareholder Stan Kroenke.

But with Kroenke showing no interest, the bid has in effect been rejected, though Usmanov is yet to receive written confirmation.

The Financial Times reported Usmanov made the offer last month, and that Kroenke has yet to formally respond.

Metal magnate Usmanov owns 30% of Arsenal's shares.

He is, though, not part of the board or decision-making at the club.
    More at the BBC Sport website..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to -El- For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sorry to say this but Arsenal and Spurs are both owned/controlled by people who put (making) money first... Now i`m not saying that is a bad thing because these clubs are both run in a very efficiant manner ... but, the trouble is you have clubs like Utd who make bucket loads from people who have never been within 500 miles of OT, you have Chelsea who have Roman with his billions and Man City which have become the Abu Dhabi groups bossom buddies.
    These 3 clubs are prepared to pay stupid sums of money for and to players and will undoubtedly get the pick of the players who are good enough for the top echelons and want to play in the premier league.
    Don`t get me wrong, the premier league is a long way behind in terms of the top teams compared to Germany or Spain, Spurs have done brilliantly because their manager is pretty much a genious and has managed to mould a team perfectly suited to the premier league. Big, strong, athletic, run all day types with a sprinkling of decent skilled players (still big guys) and you have the right ingrediants for success in the English league. Slap em in Europe though and its a different matter, in fact no premier league club is anywhere near (imo) the same level as Juve, Bayern, Real or Barca.
    We wonder why the national teams (outside the UK) are so good, what player from the UK would get in any of the top teams squad? Fair enough Bale is there but he`s not exactly setting the world on fire!
    English talent is not good enough, the football in the top league is full of overpaid mercenaries who are just here for the money, is it any wonder the top UK`s top talent want`s to go where they can make the most money! I`m a City fan so i`m probably in a glass house but sometimes i miss the old days, then i realize that i get to watch Silva, Aguerro, Yaya, Kompany et all and its not so bad Click here to enlarge

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bluebee For This Useful Post:

Thanks

And this weeks paper talk....

Wednesday: 'Walker, Rose, Alderweireld, Dier, Eriksen, Kane & Ali to leave'

Thursday: 'Spurs trio want out'

Friday: 'Daniel Levy hands in transfer request'

Click here to enlarge

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mytea@om For This Useful Post:

VIP Member SandmanUK's Avatar UK
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bluebee Click here to enlarge
    I`m a City fan so i`m probably in a glass house but sometimes i miss the old days, then i realize that i get to watch Silva, Aguerro, Yaya, Kompany et all and its not so bad Click here to enlarge
    Lol, that'll be losing 2-1 away to Lincoln and York City in Div Two then mate! Still, we got to appreciate the goal-scoring machine that was the Goat (Legend!)

I enjoyed this season with at least 5 teams being in with a shout until Chelsea pulled away with all the teams playing a good quality of football. It was always going to be a struggle for Pep, having inherited an ageing team, and with also insisting that Bravo was our first-choice keeper (duh!!) I still think that we need another season before we can put in a more realistic challenge for the League, but Spurs look good for it next season depending upon what happens during the transfer windows.
    If you're going through hell, keep going!

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SandmanUK For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Well its the final day and there is still at least some interest in the league as 3 teams battle it out for 2 CL places. There is also the remote chance that there will need to be a play off between Liverpool and Man City. Although it would require a unique set of results for that to happen. Will Liverpool manage to stay in the CL places or will Arsenal pip them on the last day? Will City end up needing to qualify or could City drop out of the top 4 altogether? Its going to be an interesting afternoon for the fans of those clubs involved in the games that matter today.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snowy25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SandmanUK Click here to enlarge
    Lol, that'll be losing 2-1 away to Lincoln and York City in Div Two then mate! Still, we got to appreciate the goal-scoring machine that was the Goat (Legend!)
    Got a great picture of me and "The Goat" after pellers won the 13/14 league in the green room at Manchester town hall for the trophy bus parade, they (the celebs!) didn`t have a clue who i was Click here to enlarge but i blagged it for a bit...

Decent result today but Watford looked like a team who`s manager was leaving and didn`t care, i can`t get me head round why Guardiola would take off Aguero when he`s on a hat trick though!
    What might have been if Kompany was fit for the whole season! personally i think Stones, while being comfortable on the ball is absolutely dire as a centre back, him Bravo and Ottemendi were just a disater waiting to happen. Does Pep rely on Kompany being fit for next year or does he get a decent centre back (and goalie) in who can control the box. I`m hoping for the latter.
    Third place is an inprovement on last year, i actually think the league has been pretty true this year. Chelsea were the best overall team, spuds second (Can Kane and Alli do it for Engalnd?), City third and Liverpool just about squeeked fourth even though they thought they`d won it at Christmas. Arsenal fifth, not sure who else finished where, could have been anyone, there`s loads of park the bus teams in the premier league Click here to enlarge

Till next season Click here to enlarge whoever you support Click here to enlarge

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bluebee For This Useful Post:

Thanks

End of an era really, as the Gunners miss out on Champions League, but as an Arsenal fan,
    (yes, Forest is still my club - Arsenal second), I can say that the Gunners shot themselves
    in the foot a number of times this season. It shouldn't be left to the last day to find out
    your destiny for a club like Arsenal.

Also some think it's time for Arsène Wenger to leave, but I don't believe for a moment he will.

I don't see him being there many more years, but I don't see him leaving soon...though if
    the F.A. Cup match is a bust, he might just do so...one big question mark right now.

Anyway, congrats to Chelsea for the League, and also Congrats to Tottenham for their
    2nd place finish, and they could be the leagues most dangerous club next season IF the
    Chairman gives Mauricio Pochettino some serious cash to keep the best, and recruit others.

Congrats to Man City, as another year of Champions League awaits, and they too, could
    be a serious threat next season with Pep Guardiola being under pressure to win trophies.
    Guardiola's not used to finishing lower than first, and he will not be pleased. Still, City have
    some exciting young talent coming in, and many established stars to always be a threat.

Congrats to Liverpool - Champions League is returning to Anfield. Klopp has helped resurrect
    the red half of the City. His enthusiasm has been a pleasure to watch since he came over
    from Germany.

Manchester United - Best of Luck in the Europa League Final, and it could be another English
    club in the Champions League, so best of luck. Also, whether Man U win the Europa League
    Final, or not, José Mourinho will be in slow burn mode all summer long as he sees Antonio
    Conte enjoying success with his old club. Mourinho must be hating it! LOL

All this means next season could be as good as any other, but then isn't that always the case
    with the Premier League? It's quite simply, the best in the world.

I look forward to seeing Forest join you soon.

DOC Click here to enlarge

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4thDoctor For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A few stats to end the season with.

On the final day we saw 33 goalscorers, more than ever before in a single day of a 38-game season.

Goals scored from outside the penalty area fell to a Premier League low of 11.6%.

Chelsea have now won the title the last 4 times there has been a General Election, 2005, 2010, 2015 and 2017.

Diego Costa won his side more points than anyone else in the league as a result of his goals.

Spurs had a goal difference of +60 which is a record for any side who did not win the title.

Forward Angel Gomes became the first player born in the year 2000 to feature in the Premier League.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snowy25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sam Allardyce has quit Crystal Palace after keeping them in the PL. He kept up his record of never being relegated as a manager when they secured their safety in their penultimate game. He stated also that he has no ambitions to take on another job. This could be him retiring or it could just be he needs a break. I guess we will see in the future which it is.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to snowy25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sam Allardyce has quit Crystal Palace after keeping them in the PL. He kept up his record of never being relegated as a manager when they secured their safety in their penultimate game. He stated also that he has no ambitions to take on another job. This could be him retiring or it could just be he needs a break. I guess we will see in the future which it is.

Maybe he can go back to his old club Sunderland, and make them his new 'project'.
    Getting them back up.

Then David Moyes who quit Sunderland, can go over to Palace...there just doesn't
    seem to be much of a choice for these smaller clubs, but to keep recycling the same
    Managers again, and again.

I think in Allardyce's case, he may be burned out on Managing - for a while he was
    taking a lot of abuse at Palace from the fans, when he first came in, they were
    struggling to get going, and they were slipping down the table quickly. It was
    fortunate they managed that late season run, as they barely survived.

Really, you've got to have a strong heart to do this sort of thing, and I don't see
    how anyone can be a Manager, or even want to be, over a certain age, as it has
    to take its toll on your mental health initially, and later on your physical health.

I guess the money being offered at times for the job though can be really good -
    silly money, and too good to turn down.

Though often, the ridiculous, and frustrating thing for me, is that these guys get
    paid even if they walk away, or get the sack. Which just isn't fair. I mean ultimately
    these funds are coming out of the fans pockets.

DOC

44. The Following User Says Thank You to 4thDoctor For This Useful Post:

Thanks

As I said elsewhere in the space of 48 hours or so he has gone to saying "we" when referring to the team and plans for the summer to quitting the club. He talked after the weekend game about how we needed to imrpove, how we needed to plan and how we had a good set of players to build around. Then a couple of days later its no longer we as he quits. He also makes a big point about its not about transfer funds or this or that. Which suggests to me it is actually about that but he doesn't want to say anything negative just in case he needs a job again with them later. It just seems very odd timing.

You are right though and I suspect Moyes will indeed be among those names being bandied about over the next few days. The best thing Palace can do is get whoever they want in now whether that be Moyes, Silva from Hull or whoever. The summer will soon be gone and unless someone is there now bringing players in and shifting the deadwood out Palace could be in trouble. Clubs who get their transfer dealings done quickly often do the best the following season.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to snowy25 For This Useful Post: