• Full Cast Narration

27 46.55%
  • Graphic Audio / Big Finish

9 15.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Poll: Audiobooks - Male Vs Female Vs Full Cast Narration

1. #1 Poll: Audiobooks - Male Vs Female Vs Full Cast Narration 
    VIP Member spike157's Avatar New-Zealand
    Lost on the North Island of New Zealand....
    Thanks

Multiple Choice is available, for those who have two choices

My Favorite is books narrated by the author like Neil Gaiman's, "The Graveyard Book"

Ciao
    Last edited by spike157; 31-12-2016 at 01:28 AM. Reason: updates

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to spike157 For This Useful Post:

Eldress monika65's Avatar Greece
    Thanks
    I love it when the author narrates, they give the book exactly the tone they intended from the start, especially in biographies.
    And then listening to a book by a full cast is the ultimate listening experience, almost like theater, how can you not like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm drowning and you're describing the water!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to monika65 For This Useful Post:

Elder Qwertius's Avatar France
    Thanks
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by monika65 Click here to enlarge
    I love it when the author narrates, they give the book exactly the tone they intended from the start, especially in biographies.
    And then listening to a book by a full cast is the ultimate listening experience, almost like theater, how can you not like that.
    Fully agreed Monika. But by that stage the only thing missing is the visuals.

Movie anyone ?

Q
    Make like a Cork and Float.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Qwertius For This Useful Post:

Elder Helvetica's Avatar Switzerland
    Thanks

As long as it's a British accent reading a book by a British author, I don't mind. What really peed me off was listening to an
    awful American woman's crow-like voice reading a version of a book by the Titanic's radio operator.
    Her pronunciation was terrible,
    Cunn-erd for Cunard
    Car-Path-eye-un for Carpathian
    South-hayump-ton for Southampton

are three of the ones I remember.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Helvetica For This Useful Post:

Devoted User UseMe's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

None of the above, although if I had to choose -- which I didn't -- I'd go with the author as narrator. I think my preferred choice of narrators would be thespians; after all, they generally have the most trained voices. I really enjoyed Roy Dotrice's readings of GRR Martin's GoT series, although his reading of the last book, so far, in the series was sub-par; he had switched voices between characters, from earlier books, which I assume has to do with his loss of faculties in his older age. And Richard Burton's narration in Jeff Wayne's production of "War of the Worlds" was superb; I only hope that within my lifetime his voice will be digitized, and with advancements in computer speech, be able to read any text.

I've listened to books narrated well by both men and women. I tend to read books that might be classified as more male-centric, in that the majority of characters are males (doing manly things, of course), and accordingly the narrators are generally male, and this makes sense. But I've also read books where the main character is a female, and some narrator of the same gender generally best fits that bill.

Besides monotonic and sonorous narrators, the worst are those who can't pronounce words correctly -- which isn't just a case of Yanks reading books by Brits. The most grating and jarring case was some American narrator reading Niven/Pournelle's Lucifer's Hammer; the guy pronounced "Tujunga" with a hard "j", i.e. as in "jungle", whereas the word is of Spanish origin and should be pronounced "Tuhunga". This would be a case of not wanting (US) east coast or midwestern narrators reading west coast literature.

Also not into the full-cast thang. I don't mind radio adaptations of this sort, but giving this treatment to an entire unabridged novel just doesn't work for me. In part because the juxtaposition of very different voices is jarring, and in part because it sounds like TV actors reading dialog -- and no, TV actors are not thespians.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UseMe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I love the way GraphicAudio does it's books. If I had to choose a favorite male or female narrator it would be Holter Graham.

Elder toomanydav3s's Avatar Australia
    Thanks

I must admit to preferring male to female narrators.
    While a good male narrator can make you believe that its a woman talking, I find very few women can.
    Kim Stanley Robinson's books the Mars Trilogy is an example of a great narrator.
    Richard Ferrone has to voice over twenty plus different characters male and female throughout the series.
    When a character returns unannounced midway through the book you know exactly who it is!
    Now that's a great narrator.
    Does anyone know of a good female narrator that can pull off a believable male voice?
    Please let me know.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toomanydav3s For This Useful Post:

Member Ndamro's Avatar Canada
    Thanks

A full cast naration would be my preference... sometimes when slightly distracted and there is a lot of conversation between many it is difficult to keep up with who is saying what. A full cast naration of Harry Potter would probably be played all the time around here! Click here to enlarge Althought it might put dear husband out of work for nightly stories, lol. It would save his voice though!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ndamro For This Useful Post:

Bolt Elite seneca's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

Full cast, if done right, as in this centennial Irish radioplay of James Joyce's Ulysses:

This Content Is Available To Members Only. Please Register Here
    Incomparable!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to seneca For This Useful Post:

VIP Member MC001's Avatar UK
    Thanks

really depends on the quality of the narrator, one person can easily beat out a full cast if they have the correct type of voice and pronunciation

19. #11 Author, Author! 
    Leecher jennlynn's Avatar Canada
    Thanks
    While I am not a huge audio book fan, I am partial to an author's own reading. He or she knows best how to interpret the work, where to put accent or inflection - how best to bring their own words to life. I do appreciate that not every author wants or is able to do so, however, so a skilled voice actor would be my second choice. Probably not an entire cast as that can get too busy and confusing.

Member HEW's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    It depends on the point of view of the storyteller. If a woman is telling her story, I want a female reader - i.e., Mary Stewart novels. As a rule, I think male readers seem to be more versatile and do women's voices better than women do men. If a story is in the third person, I prefer a male. And I agree that the accent is very important. British story - British accent. Not a fan of full cast - it does seem distracting to me. I love audio books done well. Stephen Fry's Harry Potter readings get a lot of airtime!

Junior Member blabface's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    Completely depends on the book and the reader. I've heard wonderful and terrible combinations of them all.

Junior Member 504steve's Avatar UK
    Thanks
    Also depends on the quality of the audio. I've had a few that had bad quality audio and I gave up listening to them.

Thanks
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spike157 Click here to enlarge
    Multiple Choice is available, for those who have two choices

My Favorite is books narrated by the author like Neil Gaiman's, "The Graveyard Book"

Ciao
    I agree,great book

Junior Member AlexL3's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    My experience is that I have never been able to successfully download an audiobook for free using a link from Bolt. I would pay for a subscription to one of these services if I knew which one to use. I don't want to buy subscriptions to all of them. If anyone happens upon this post, please send me a PM with your personal recommendation.
    Thanks,
    Alex