Thread: need internet help

1. #1 need internet help 
    JUST FOR FUN mrgrunts's Avatar United-States
    Thanks

Ok this is my problem, I think my ISP is throttling my DL speeds. My plan that I pay for is 18Mbps/1Mbps with no data cap, however this past month I have noticed a great deal in dropped speeds in my DL's.
    I went from an average speed of 700k-1.4M to a drop of 20-50k. No settings were changed, I go to the same sites for my downloads so no change there. Did all the cleaning that I can do and still no change. I checked my data usage with my ISP just to see how much My family has used and at that point we were at 680Gb. I did some online research on my ISP and found out ( without them saying so ) that after 250Gb they start to throttle down your speeds, the more you use the slower it gets. My ISP does not offer any other faster speed packages so it not like I can upgrade so here is my question. Is there a way ( program ) I can download that I can use to stop the throttling? for example , 90% of the time I DL my links from Premiumize.me where I have a membership and I started to notice the drop in speeds, cleaned out my browser and tried again still slow. changed browsers from chrome to FF it was ok for a couple DL but then back to the slow speeds. was recommended to try a VPN to see if speeds increase and they did, actually faster then in the first place, To me this confirms the throttling of my ISP. I live on a fixed income so another monthly bill I can not afford. and the best deal I found on a free VPN has a 10Gb cap. I can burn through that in a day with my kids, lol so again I ask Is there a program I can DL for free that will do the same thing as a VPN for me ? and if not does anyone know of a free VPN I can use that dont have a cap on there data and good speeds?

Thank you in advance

mrgrunts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you like something say THANKS!!!!!! A simple thanks is only a click away

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mrgrunts For This Useful Post:

Member draycos's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    I hope this helps, I will give you a like to an article by Life hacker about free VPN

This Content Is Available To Members Only. Please Register Here

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to draycos For This Useful Post:

Show Thankful Users

VIP Member aaronmb's Avatar United-States
    Thanks

For what its worth, I've been using IDM for a few months and the links are at least 4 times as fast than when I was downloading through Palemoon.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aaronmb For This Useful Post:

Thanks

From what you`ve said a VPN will not make any difference! The speed of your connection is throttled after you have exceeded your data allowance and this is all handled at the ISP`s end. The traffic still has to go through the same pipe whether it`s through normal browsing, a vpn, torrenting [this is the main reason for throttling], etc, etc.
    This traffic shaping/throttling will continue if you keep going over your limit, unlimited doesn`t seem to mean unlimited anymore.

Anyway for what its worth you could try Opera, it has a built in vpn which supposedly has no limit or as aaronmb suggests a download manager...You may need to make sure any vpn you use is whitelisted by your multihost.

Do you notice better speeds at the start of each month or when the limit gets reset?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bluebee For This Useful Post:

Devoted User UseMe's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks

Have you used a speed test website to confirm your lowered bandwidth speeds?

One such site is:

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UseMe For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by UseMe Click here to enlarge
    Have you used a speed test website to confirm your lowered bandwidth speeds?

One such site is:

Thank you. Yes I tried all kinds of test, although Speedtest is the only one that lets you pick a server to test on, this is how I found out that I was being throttled. when test in states, test showed speeds were good but test the servers where I do most DL from speeds dropped majorly.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First I want to say thank you for all the info to everyone. with that said this is my conclusion and It work, for anyone who has this problem it might work for you.

I switch my browser from Google Chrome to FF and Added a VPN ( windscribe Pro ) they give you 2Gb free no sign up but if you sign up with your email you get 10Gb, then I found a code that give me 50Gb. there prices are reasonable also for unlimited DL.
    With google chrome I tried DLM, IDM, JB and google chrome's own DL manager, none of witch increased my DL speeds. added a VPN but It still didnt work. I switched to FF and tried to DL and speeds were slow but then I added windscribe Pro free and tried a DL and speeds were crazy fast Like my plan is for 18Mb down and 1.3 up and I DLed a 1.7GB file at a speed of 24Gbs, When It was done I went back to Chrome and tried a DL with a different VPN that has multi servers, when I use a server from Japan I get good speeds but when I use a server from the states speeds are ok and still faster then the Throttled speed but FF with the VPN add on are more consistence when DLing multiple files all at 900MB speeds are like 700Ks to 1.4Mbs each, 17 files at same time speeds for all were running at 18 to 24Mbs. when I turn VPN off speeds go right down to a crawl. Turn VPN back on and speeds jump right back up. I use Premiumize.me as a multi hoster and I think that is what my ISP was Throttling, any files that I download from there they were slow but If I was to DL from the site itself , UL, RG, OL. RR. speeds were what the were suppose to be as a free user so I think that my ISP was just looking for anything that was coming from Premiumize.me and throttled it down. so with a lot of research Plus Info from YOU here and a lot of trial and error this was my resolution. Switch from Google Chrome to FF added windscribe pro still use my multi hoster and speeds are crazy. problem solved ( for now ) I will see for how long.

Again Thank you all for the INFO and I hope that the resolution to my problem will help someone with same problem. It worked for me. If things chance I will re-post problem and any resolution if I found one.

Also If anyone has the same problem but different resolution please post, I love learning different things.

mrgrunts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrgrunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by aaronmb Click here to enlarge
    For what its worth, I've been using IDM for a few months and the links are at least 4 times as fast than when I was downloading through Palemoon.
    I have also used IDM, and JB. no change in speeds. and I only get the slow speeds when I go through the multi host that I have a membership for.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mrgrunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by draycos Click here to enlarge
    I hope this helps, I will give you a like to an article by Life hacker about free VPN

Found one that works with FF from that site.
    Thank you

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mrgrunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks

And one last thing. A member Here ( no names mentioned ) sent me a PM with great INFO. Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!

ALL OF YOU< THANK YOU

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mrgrunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks

"I did some online research on my ISP and found out ( without them saying so ) that after 250Gb they start to throttle down your speeds, the more you use the slower it gets."
    Have you checked your contract with them ? If it is not in the contract that you agreed to, then they are legally not allowed to do it. If I were you I would get in touch with one of those consumer magazines or TV shows and tell them about it. Maybe they can get something done. As far as I can see, this is like renting a house with a garden - the more you sit in the garden, the landlord blocks off more and more areas of the garden...