Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: War technology

Elder Qwertius's Avatar France
    Thanks
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stvnsprngr Click here to enlarge
    The Best Hog Is A Filthy Hog: If USAF Had Its Way This Jet Wouldn't Be Devouring ISIS

This photo reminds us that the A-10 is a hard working, ferocious and versatile jet, that has had to fight for its life overseas and on Capitol Hill.

Click here to enlarge

This awesome shot, showing a A-10C Warthog bristling with a diverse array of weaponry, and its belly a sooted and greasy mess from continued firing of its GAU-8 Avenger 30mm cannon, is a reminder of just how relevant this aircraft still is today.E]
    The Warthog is one of my favorite aircraft. Its lingering time over a battlefield is second to none.

But it could be better. (at least I think so).

So here is my design A10 Warthog Variation.

The modifications are to the wing roots.

I know little about the intricacies of aircraft design - except for my 'gut' feeling about form & function.

Therefore (fingered crossed) I'm hoping such increased wing area may enhance not just its maneuverability - (see enhanced tail area) but it should give it as much as 10% to 15% more lingering time in the air on account of the extra fuel it may be able to carry.

Alternately the extra lift may mean it can carry a bit more in the way of munitions.

Click here to enlarge

Hope you approve of my modifications.

Q
    Make like a Cork and Float.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qwertius For This Useful Post:

Elder stvnsprngr's Avatar United-States
    Thanks

I worked for a few years as a small airplane mechanic (when I got bigger I moved up to jets!)Click here to enlarge

and I helped build a twin engine/single propeller 6 seater with a retired Flying Tigers pilot, but the closest I can come to evaluating your design is to say that from here it looks unobtrusively potentially beneficial. It seems to me that your designs might be fitted as lightweight composite cowlings.

/////////////////////////////////////////

Check out the LCAC: The massive Navy hovercraft that hauls Marines into battle

Click here to enlarge
    A landing craft, air cushion in action during the Talisman Saber 17 exercise, July 8, 2017.

The US Navy's Landing Craft, Air Cushion, or LCAC, is designed to haul 60 to 75 tons of cargo over the water and across the beach during amphibious operations.

The LCAC's air cushion allows it to access 70% of the world's coastline, outstripping conventional landing craft, which can only handle about 15%.

The LCAC first deployed aboard the USS Germantown dock-landing ship in 1987 and continues to serve the Navy, hauling everything from personnel and equipment to landing craft and M1 Abrams tanks to shore.

Over the weekend, LCACs aboard amphibious-assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard took part in an amphibious-landing rehearsal as part of Talisman Saber 17, a US-Australian bilateral exercise done every two years off the coast of Australia.

In footage released by the US Defense Department, LCACs can be seen entering and exiting the Bonhomme Richard's well deck and zipping across the water, performing exercises to "increase naval proficiencies in operating against blue-water adversarial threats" during littoral operations.

View on dvidshub.net
    01:48
    This Content Is Available To Members Only. Please Register Here
    03:14
    More:
    I am a temporary biological event existing in an indifferent universe.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stvnsprngr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

US and Australia test hypersonic missiles that fly at a mile a second

A successful hypersonic test flight took place in South Australia last week amid US concerns about China and Russia's hypersonic weapons capabilities

Click here to enlarge
    The X-51A Waverider, a prototype for a hypersonic missile, is designed to accelerate to about 7,700mph US Air Force graphic

The US has been testing hypersonic aircraft missiles that could fly at a mile per second.

It has collaborated with Australia to research and pilot weapons able to fly at least five times faster than the speed of sound - anywhere from 3,836mph up to 7,700 mph.

The latest phase of the Hypersonic International Flight Research Experimentation (HiFIRE) programme included at least one successful hypersonic flight at Woomera testing range in South Australia.

The round of experiments concluded on 12 July, confirmed Australian defence minister Marise Payne.

BAE Systems Australia said in a statement that "the successful flight trial [was] the most complex of all HIFiRE flights conducted to date".

The $54m joint initiative involves the US Air Force, Boeing, the Australian Department of Defence’s Defence Science and Technology Group, BAE Systems Australia, and the University of Queensland.

Both Russia and China are building hypersonic glide vehicles, US Air Force General John Hyten recently told a Senate hearing, according to The Washington Examiner.

More:

Talisman Sabre: Australian military enacts war in a bid to prepare for 'emerging threats'

Click here to enlarge

Video on page:
    01:00
    Military exercise kicks off with biggest amphibious landing since WWII (Footage supplied by ADF) (ABC News)

We could already be at war in cyberspace — that is the proposition the Australian military is grappling with as it engages in massive war games off the Queensland coast.

The biggest military exercise in the Pacific, Talisman Sabre, kicked off this week with a spectacular show of force.
    The biggest amphibious landing Australia has executed since WWII took place on the beaches of Shoalwater Bay, near Rockhampton.

The war games involve 30,000 Australian and American troops — that is about the same size as Australia's entire Army.

But as warships dot the coastline and jets and helicopters scream and growl through the skies, there are skirmishes going on far from the physical frontline.

Australia and the United States are also rehearsing battle manoeuvres in cyberspace this year.

Military bosses say the exercise must reflect every theatre of war.

"These are essentially incubators for emerging threats," US Army Brigadier General Peter Andrysiak said.

"The cyber threat, as it changes all the time, and the domains that are being introduced in the battlefield".

Much more:

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stvnsprngr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Stvn,

As you know - I live in South Australia.

And I am literally a stone's throw away from a major military airbase & testing grounds for all sorts of military hardware.

So suffice to say - I sometimes see things in the sky - that others might put down to being UFOs.

Not me --- its more likely that the USA - Australia - UK & other interested parties are testing air-borne vehicles etc - away from prying eyes.

Mind you - I have seen some things that have had me scratching my head and wondering -- -what the heck was that ?

That's occurred about 4 or 5 times in the last 10 years. (including what looked like a small black cube that changed shape in flight)

Quite bizarre - but nothing to do with little aliens etc.

Q

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qwertius For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Then again, what better place for aliens to fly around 'undetected' than a military testing ground?
    "Did you see that? What was that? Is that one of ours? Should we shoot it down? Call somebody!
    Oh, nevermind...it's gone."

Especially now that:

A proposed new military branch would send US troops to guard the galaxy

The year: 2019. The mission: Send combat forces into space to save the world from potential Star Wars.
    The crew to get the job done: the United States Space Corps.
    A Congressional committee is proposing that the US armed forces add a new military branch that would, quite literally, send soldiers out of this world.

More:

Thanks

Russia's Largest Nuclear Powered Sub And Warship Have Set Sail To The Baltic Sea

Click here to enlarge

That is one massive and deadly submarine for an almost entirely landlocked and very tense body of water.

Early last April, we were among the first to report that Russia intended to send the world's largest submarine, the Typhoon class Dmitry Donskoy, and their largest surface combatant, the nuclear powered Kirov class battlecruiser Pyotr Velikiy, to the relatively tight and tense confines of the Baltic Sea. Now both ships have officially set sail from their home port of Severomorsk on their unprecedented voyage.

The ships are part of a massive flotilla of Russian naval power that will take part in a parade on September 30th at the far eastern reach of the Baltic Sea in St. Petersburg. The two ships represent some of the most destructive vessels the world has ever seen, and sailing them into Northern Europe's most strategic waterway will raise eyebrows, especially among NATO member countries that call the Baltic home.

00:52 video on page...

Just getting the vessels in and out of the enclosed Baltic Sea will be a sensitive operation, as we wrote in April:

"The Baltic Sea is usually the playground of smaller attack submarines, namely of the diesel electric variety, not of huge ballistic missile carrying "boomers." The body of water is very much a littoral environment, with an average depth of around 180 feet, which is hardly the environment for a Typhoon class submarine that displaces 48,000 tonnes while submerged and was built to literally find a place in the deep and remote ocean to hide for long periods of time. According to The Barents Observer even transiting into the region will be a tight squeeze for the Dmitry Donskoy:

"For those who want to see, but can’t go to St. Petersburg, the vessel will have to sail at surface under the Great Belt bridge where vessels with a maximum draught of 15 meters can sail. According to Swedish Maritime Administration, the waters under the Öresund bridge or the Flint channel are too shallow. The draught of a Typhoon submarine is 12 meters."

But even if the huge submarine doesn't have a tactical purpose in the Baltic Sea, its appearance there will send a very big reminder to the region and beyond of the heavy-hitting naval capabilities the Russian Navy retains. A Kirov class battlecruiser is also not especially well-suited for operating in such a environment, but its abilities do pose a threat to the region.

The ship was built to tear apart American carrier battle groups in the open ocean, but their missiles can be used against other targets as well, and its long-range air defenses pose a credible challenge. But the fact is Russian long-range air defense assets, ballistic missiles, and even possibly land-based cruise missiles are already present in Kaliningrad, so although the Pyotr Velikiy does bring some new capabilities to the table in the region, Russia already has plenty of ways to turn on a no-fly-zone at a flick of a switch, and bombard NATO countries from nearly the inside-out if they actually wanted to do so. Not to mention the fact that a huge battlecruiser in a closed body of water is a big fat target itself.

Maybe above all else, the fact that multiple nuclear reactors (both vessels run on nuclear power) of Soviet vintage will be plodding through the region is likely to draw the most ire from Moscow's European neighbors."
    More:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to stvnsprngr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

China’s New Killer Drone Ready for Mass Production

China is ready to mass-produce a new strike-capable unmanned aerial vehicle.

Click here to enlarge

China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation’s (CASC) latest and most capable attack and reconnaissance unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), the Caihong 5 (CH-5), or Rainbow 5, is ready for mass production, according to Chinese media reports.

The first mass-produced CH-5 made its 20-minute maiden flight at an airport in China’s northern Hebei Province on July 14, China Daily reports. “Today’s flight means the CH-5’s design has been finalized and we are ready to mass-produce it,” said Ou Zhongming, CH-5 project manager.

The CH-5 is intended for export. Several countries have purportedly already expressed interest in the new combat drone. The CH-5s developers, however, have so far not revealed the names of potential customers. The major draw for buyers is the drone’s relative cheap price tag in comparison to Western models.

According to the chief designer of the CH series, Shi Wen, the CH-5 is as good as the U.S.-made General Atomics MQ-9 Reaper. Nevertheless, there is speculation that the CH-5 has much weaker engines than either the U.S.-made Predator or Reaper resulting in more limited range and speed in comparison to U.S. models. Chinese UAV models (including the Wing Loong II) lack in detection capabilities and overall endurance when compared to Western models.

The medium-altitude long-endurance (MALE) CH-5 purportedly has a wingspan of 21 meters and can carry a payload of up to 1,200 kilograms (previous reports indicated 900 kilograms)– 2.6 times more than previous combat UAVs of the CH series. Overall, the CH-5 can carry up to 16 air-to-ground weapons including Lan Jian 7 (Blue Arrow 7) laser-guided air-to-surface missiles, TG100 laser/INS/GPS-guided bombs, and AR-1/HJ-10 anti-tank missiles.

The CH-5 is reportedly capable of linking up with other combat drones to conduct joint missions. “Another advantage is that the CH-5 is capable of making a joint strike together with its predecessors, the CH-3 and CH-4, because they can share the same data link and control system. Therefore, it is very easy for current users of the CH-3 and CH-4 to introduce and integrate the CH-5 into their drone network,” Shi said in November 2016.

The drone’s operational range is around 250 kilometers via line-of-sight datalink and approximately 2,000 kilometers with satellite communication, according to CASC. “However, other reports indicate that the maximum range of the UAV is 6,500 kilometers and will eventually be increased to 10,000 kilometers,” as I explained elsewhere. Powered by a 330 hp heavy-fuel engine (HFE), the drone has an operating endurance of up to 60 hours and a purported service ceiling of 30,000 ft (7,000 m).

The CH-5 conducted its maiden flight at an undisclosed airfield in Gansu province, China in August 2015. The CH-5’s maiden flight latest for about 20 minutes. CASC for the first time publicly displayed a prototype of the CH-5 during the 2016 China International Aviation & Aerospace Exhibition in Zhuhai.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to stvnsprngr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    China’s New Killer Drone Ready for Mass Production

China is ready to mass-produce a new strike-capable unmanned aerial vehicle.

Click here to enlarge

I wonder how it will go if it ever meets up with one of these?

Click here to enlarge

Q

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Qwertius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Then again, what better place for aliens to fly around 'undetected' than a military testing ground?
    "Did you see that? What was that? Is that one of ours? Should we shoot it down? Call somebody!
    Oh, nevermind...it's gone."

Especially now that:

A proposed new military branch would send US troops to guard the galaxy

The year: 2019. The mission: Send combat forces into space to save the world from potential Star Wars.
    The crew to get the job done: the United States Space Corps.
    A Congressional committee is proposing that the US armed forces add a new military branch that would, quite literally, send soldiers out of this world.

More:
    The answer is here.

Q

Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Qwertius Click here to enlarge
    I wonder how it will go if it ever meets up with one of these?

Click here to enlarge

Q
    Image search led to Fairchild A-10 Thunderbolt II
    If so, no fair, it's got a pilot!

A-10 in Action With Awesome Sound - Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II During Training

05:01

Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II

That's the thing about all this fancy new hardware - the first round will decide who got what right...

Lee Ermey Lite - America's drill sergeant Click here to enlarge

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stvnsprngr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Message On Bunker Buster Bomb Tells ISIS "This Is For Making Me Miss Game of Thrones"
    Someone was upset they were too busy bombing terrorists in Iraq or Syria to watch the seventh season premier.

Click here to enlarge

An estimated 16 million people tuned in to watch “Dragonstone,” the premier episode of the seventh season of Game of Thrones. Unfortunately, this apparently wasn’t an option for at least one member of the U.S. Air Force, who, in keeping with the general tone of the show, decided to make their anger at missing the episode the last thing their enemies ever saw.

“This is for making me miss Game of Thrones” they wrote on a GBU-31/B Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM), according to pictures that appeared on social media. Two other bombs in the pictures appear message-free.

More:

20. The Following User Says Thank You to stvnsprngr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

How did Taliban fighters get their hands on US special-operations gear?

Click here to enlarge
    A screenshot from the “Omari Army 5" propaganda video appears to show a Taliban fighter wielding an FN SCAR rifle.

Taliban fighters are packing new American-made heat — at least, according to their propaganda videos.

A recently released 70-minute video of Afghanistan Taliban training exercises produced by the insurgent organization’s media arm appears to show militants wielding firearms and equipment usually carried by U.S. special operations forces, Military Times reports .

The video appears to show a Taliban fighter with a FN SCAR (Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle) 7.62mm rifle decked out with a AN/PEQ 5 visible laser and an older Surefire flashlight model typically found in Special Operations Peculiar Modification Kits, per Military Times. Other fighters are recorded carrying M4 and M16 assault rifles.

This isn’t the first time the FN SCAR has been observed in the hands of Taliban forces. Footage released by the Taliban in 2015 appears to show militants operating a captured Humvee and FN SCAR-H heavy rifle variants during a May assault on an Afghan National Army base in Afghanistan’s Kunduz province The group subsequently released photos of militants wielding the firearms, allegedly captured from ANA personnel.

That Taliban forces are rocking U.S.-made guns and equipment should come as no surprise. A non-declassified 2016 Department of Defense auditrevealed that poor record-keeping and regulations had allowed nearly half of the 1.5 million firearms provided to Iraqi and Afghan security forces since 2002 to go missing, including nearly 978,000 M4 and M16s. An earlier 2014 report from the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstructionfound that some 43% of weapons provided to the Afghan National Security Forces likely ended up in the hands of ISIS or the Taliban. (The FN SCAR is not explicitly listed in the report).

More:

22. The Following User Says Thank You to stvnsprngr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Stvn,

Here are a couple of sites I think you will treasure forever.

Home site is here.

Q

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Qwertius For This Useful Post:

Elder Luther's Avatar UK
    Thanks

Like the blueprints site Qwertius - cheersClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Last edited by Luther; 19-07-2017 at 07:42 PM. Reason: addition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Luther For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Watch The Navy's Electromagnetic Railgun's Autoloader Feed A Multi-Shot Salvo

The railgun dream is inching closer to reality, but the gun's hyper velocity ammo may be pushed into service first.

Click here to enlarge

02:54
    The Navy's electromagnetic (EM) railgun continues its development, with the Office of Naval Research publishing a video yesterday showing BAE Systems' version firing off test shots in rapid succession with the help of the gun's elaborate autoloading system.

The video was filmed at Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren Division with the gun setup on a test gantry. We have seen this setup before, but the fact that the program is moving to mechanized rapid fire tests is a positive indication that the promising technology is indeed progressing toward an operational capability. Also, the video is another reminder of how cool this thing looks—a definite departure from deck guns of the past.

Much more:

28. The Following User Says Thank You to stvnsprngr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Why Russia's ballistic-missile defense works and the US's kinda doesn't

The US has spent $40 billion on the ground-based midcourse ballistic-missile-defense system.
    By the end of 2017, the US wants to have 44 missile interceptors stationed in Alaska and California to fend off a possible nuclear-missile attack.
    While the ground-based midcourse missile-defense system has had some success in tests, real-world conditions could easily stress the system to the max, leaving the US vulnerable to nuclear attacks.

On the other hand, Russia has 68 nuclear-tipped ballistic-missile interceptors around Moscow. US missiles interceptors do not have explosive payloads and have to actually slam into an incoming warhead to incapacitate it.

"We have to actually hit a bullet with a bullet," Bruce Blair, a former US nuclear-launch officer and an expert on nuclear security, told Business Insider. "The general expert estimate is that any one interceptor in the US side would have no better than a 25% chance of making impact with a Russian nuclear warhead." So the US would have to fire at least four interceptors to every one missile threat.

So with the US's 44 interceptors, "at most you could destroy 11 warheads," Blair said, "and Russia could throw 1,000 at us."
    But the Russian system, though horribly dangerous, works much better. According to Blair, because Russia's interceptors do explode with tremendous nuclear blasts, "it could miss a missile by half a mile and still get it."

So how does the US deter nuclear attacks from Russia? Blair said that the US has at least 100 nuclear missiles targeted at Moscow.
    In the event of an attack, the US would fire missile after missile after missile at Moscow as Russia's own nuclear missiles stop them in the sky. Eventually the supply of interceptors would be exhausted, or, more likely, one would fail. It would be the most violent and catastrophic event in human history, but US missiles would eventually get through as missile silos in Siberia open and fire missiles toward the US.

However, just because nuclear-tipped interceptors work doesn't mean they're a good idea. A nuclear blast above earth could easily cause an electromagnetic pulse or a blast that would wipe out satellites and electricity, potentially costing lives. Furthermore, accidental interceptor fires do happen, so it's probably best not to arm them with nuclear warheads.
    It says something about now insecure Russia's leadership that it would surround its most populous city with 68 dangerous nuclear missiles.