Thread: ‘Kodi repair men’

1. #1 ‘Kodi repair men’ 
    Elder geniemaster's Avatar United-States
    Thanks

Another reason I strongly suggest that people should not buy pre-loaded Kodi boxes.
    Best to learn how to "repair" Kodi yourself as the new problems of today will require an update
    and new addons , the pre-loaded boxes may be long time outdated.
    A friend not long ago bought a Fire TV which I loaded for him, now it is having problems and I told him he needed "repairs"
    and he informed me he wished he didn't buy it, only because he does not know what to do.
    So, Buyer Beware.

This Content Is Available To Members Only. Please Register Here
    Please do not post my links in other forums. Thank You.

2. The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to geniemaster For This Useful Post:

Show Thankful Users

Junior Member Black Beard's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    A Kodi box usually is simply a clean slate to install repositories of streaming sources. Unfortunately, the heat is on. Most repositories are gone and many previously installed addons do not update and source resources may not be available. The past few weeks saw the death of many content providers for Kodi. TV Addons and Fusion are gone together with many well known others. But it appears that the resource providers are regrouping. There are now many Android apk files that can be installed to stream movies and television.

The best bet is to go to Youtube and search the term "Kodi." All the videos that are older than a few days will not help. You must look for the most recent information. There will be instructions on how to obtain and install working repositories with working addons. You will be able to learn of working Android apk files which will run on a Kodi box when installed outside of Kodi. You will have to learn how to download and install the apk files.

So you can get your Kodi streaming again if you make the effort but resources are still limited.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Beard For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You notice how they never started going after kodi, until they changed there name.

When it was xbmc(xbox media center), they never went after them really. Only when they changed the name, from xbox, to kodi, was the kodi software targeted, like now.

Glad, i never use those addons, or online streaming.

Those users, should just redo there box, and just use it as a media player, like it was originally designed.

When the media player, had xbox in its title, this mainly didnt happen. They really started going after kodi, when it became kodi. I wonder, if that was because, it formerly, had xbox, in its title.

Elder willy9b's Avatar UK
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by msr Click here to enlarge
    You notice how they never started going after kodi, until they changed there name.

When it was xbmc(xbox media center), they never went after them really. Only when they changed the name, from xbox, to kodi, was the kodi software targeted, like now.
    I think you'll find that Kodi itself remains bullet-proof - They *always* emphasise that they have never encouraged/supported the third parties who piggy-back on Kodi to enable illegal streaming.

By the way, many of my favourite repo's have migrated to an Israeli site recommended by geniemaster in an earlier thread, so (for now!) I'm a happy bunny Click here to enlarge Once you install the zip file it's well worth scrolling down through the ginormous list of repo's to pick your own favourites. As Jasonmoore85 always says in his YouTube videos, 'happy days'...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who stuck the razorblades around the frisbee of life?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to willy9b For This Useful Post:

Elder geniemaster's Avatar United-States
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by msr Click here to enlarge

They had to change name because microsoft xbox was going to sue them if they didn't.
    Please do not post my links in other forums. Thank You.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to geniemaster For This Useful Post:

Elder vet_ca's Avatar Canada
    Thanks

Tvaddons is still available. You just need to make some additions to your Windows hosts file. I found this on a search.

Add the following lines to your Windows hosts file:
    I was able to access the tvaddons site simply by adding those 3 lines to my hosts file.

I hope others find this useful as well.

As an aside I now use a raspberry pi 3B. I've had 2 Kodi boxes in the past and they both suffered from the fact that they cannot be updated to the latest version of Android (which the newest versions of Kodi require). I don't anticipate any problem with the 3B because it likely can be updated for quite awhile now. Plus it cost 1/10 the price of a "Kodi box".
    First...do no harm

11. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to vet_ca For This Useful Post:

Show Thankful Users

Elder bustacaptx's Avatar United-States
    Thanks

Since Exodus is starting to have problems, Troypoint, a Kodi site/newsletter I subscribe to, recommends installing Elysium as an alternative. I did so a couple of nights ago and it's working very well.

How To Install Elysium On Kodi

- Launch Kodi
    - Click the settings icon which looks like a gear or cog in top left-hand corner under Kodi logo
    - Click System settings
    - Hover over Add-ons menu item and turn on Unknown sources if not already on – you will receive a confirmation message where you must click Yes
    - Click back on remote to go back to System page
    - Click File Manager
    - Click Add source
    - Click <None>
    - Type the following url exactly how it is listed here –
    and click OK
    - Highlight the box under the source that you just typed in and enter a name for this media source, type nanrepo or any other name you would like to identify this source as and click OK
    - Click your back button on remote or keyboard until you are back at the Kodi home screen
    - Click Add-ons menu item
    - Click the small “open box” icon at top left side of page under the “Add-ons heading”
    - Click Install from zip file
    - Click nanrepo or other name you assigned the media source in previous step
    - Click repository.elysium zip file
    - Wait for Elysium repository enabled message to appear
    - Click Install from repository
    - Click Elysium Repository
    - Click Video Add-ons
    - Click Elysium
    - Click Install
    - Wait until you see Elysium Add-on installed message

13. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to bustacaptx For This Useful Post:

Show Thankful Users

Thanks

Well that didn't last very long. As of this morning I am unable to access the tvaddons site even with the additions to my hosts file. Get a 403 Forbidden error.
    First...do no harm

Elder willy9b's Avatar UK
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vet_ca Click here to enlarge
    Well that didn't last very long. As of this morning I am unable to access the tvaddons site even with the additions to my hosts file. Get a 403 Forbidden error.
    I know what you mean, so many repo's are in the 'here today, gone tomorrow' category now Click here to enlarge I can't keep up...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who stuck the razorblades around the frisbee of life?

Thanks

Found another site for Kodi add-ons and repositories.
    First...do no harm

17. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to vet_ca For This Useful Post:

Show Thankful Users

Junior Member Black Beard's Avatar Black-private
    Thanks
    I have tried the Elysium addon from your designated repo and a couple of others. It doesn't seem to have many resources.

VIP Member Cid67's Avatar Canada
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vet_ca Click here to enlarge
    As an aside I now use a raspberry pi 3B. I've had 2 Kodi boxes in the past and they both suffered from the fact that they cannot be updated to the latest version of Android (which the newest versions of Kodi require). I don't anticipate any problem with the 3B because it likely can be updated for quite awhile now. Plus it cost 1/10 the price of a "Kodi box".
    How do you like your Pi 3B ?
    I've been scouring the interwebs trying to find "the best" android streaming device mainly just for home content & came across this cool little gadget.
    I've never heard of them before & thinking on trying one. I'm no coder or anything even close to one but I am a bit tech savvy, are these pretty easy to set up ?
    Do you have any useful info one would find helpful ?
    Cheers Click here to enlarge

VIP Member genew's Avatar United-States
    Thanks

I am also a major fan of the Raspberry Pi 3b.

A co-worker bought a fully loaded "Kodi Box" for only $400 US. It works well but does not allow updates or add-ons. I looked for more affordable approach and found a complete Pi 3 kit for $60 US, but had to assemble it. (Took a full 10 minutes.)

It did take some time finding instructions on the 'net for add-on installation, so that added another 30 minutes to the set up time.

Within an hour, I had a working box.

When some of the older add-ons quit working to my satisfaction, I un-installed them and tried something else. I'm currently using Exodus and Elysium which are working for me.

I am a retired old f##t with limited means and a bit of spare time, not a high tech genius. If I can do this, anyone who is "a bit tech savvy" can.

Oh, also, I purchased a second memory card and installed Raspberian complete with Libre Office. If all else fails, I can swap memory cards and have a fully functional PC.

Good luck in your quest.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to genew For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi Cid67, well I love the Raspberry Pi. Like genew I have a couple of microSD cards. One with only Libreelec (Kodi 17.3) loaded and the other with Raspian (and also loaded Kodi 17.3) on that card. Both work really great. I bought a complete kit (well the heatsinks, fan, case and powersupply) and took very little time to install. I removed the fan after because it made to much noise + you can leave the Pi on 24/7 and it just doesn't get hot. I can load any repository or add-on I like on either card. I'll never buy another TV box again. However, I may buy another Pi 'cause I like it so much and can probably find something else to do with it.

If you go to the Raspberry Pi site you can find tons of information. Also youtube has a lot of information re Kodi and Retropi if you're into setting up a gaming machine with it. The sky's the limit as far as I can see. You're just limited by your imagination and web resources.

Cheers to both of you and have a great time with your Pi.
    First...do no harm

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vet_ca For This Useful Post:

VIP Member Cid67's Avatar Canada
    Thanks

Thanks guys !
    I'm lookin at the CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit - 32 GB Edition on amazon
    Tomorrow is "Prime Day" they have it on sale for $80 Cdn..
    If all else fails I'll turn the thing into a Transformer..lol

Ummm I just had a thought.. Should I buy a kit that comes with a remote..?
    How do you guys control the thing..?

25. #16 Remote Wireless / Keyboard 
    VIP Member genew's Avatar United-States
    Thanks

I bought the Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit - 32 GB Edition from Canakit.

I assembled it and started up with a borrowed USB keyboard and mouse. Once it was up and running, I found I didn't need the keyboard accept for searches, where the mouse is a bit tedious.

The next day I ordered an IPazzport wireless mini keyboard / mouse which looked identical to the one offered by Canakit, but for a substantially better price. When it arrived, I just plugged in the USB dongle, turned on the wireless keyboard and it worked. Eight months and no fuss or trouble for me.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to genew For This Useful Post: